Randy Quaid Remains in Jail Despite Judge Granting Release
Randy Quaid and his wife Evi's vandalism case has taken yet another twist - the couple remains in a Canadian jail for reasons unknown, despite a judge granting their release last week on October 22. The Quaids were wanted in Santa Barbara, California after they failed to show up for an arraignment on October 18 to face felony vandalism charges, for allegedly squatting in a Montecito home they once owned.
They were apprehended in Vancouver, Canada last Thursday, October 21 on U.S. warrants and released from custody on Friday, October 22 on $9,750 bail. But a Canada Border Services Agency spokesperson tells The Associated Press on the Quaids remained in detention on Tuesday, October 26. Further details were not disclosed.
The couple previously requested asylum at a Canadian immigration hearing on Friday. Evi Quaid told officials of the Immigration and Refugee Board that they have fled persecution in their native America and want to apply for refugee status in Canada.
She said, "We feel our lives are in danger. Randy has known eight close friends murdered in odd, strange manners... We feel that we're next."
During the break in proceedings, the Quaids' lawyer, Brian Tsuji, read a short, single-sentence statement from the couple to reporters, which only added to the mystery surrounding the case. Their attorney said, "Yes, we are requesting asylum from Hollywood star whackers."
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Tops Box Office, 'Wonder Woman' Sets New Record
- A$AP Rocky Involved in a Fight During Kendrick Lamar's Set at Pre-BET Awards Party
- Netflix Cancels 'Girlboss' After One Season
- BET Awards 2017: Leslie Jones Mocks Amber Rose's 'Bush' Pic, Pokes Fun at Young Rappers' Names
- BET Awards 2017: Jada Pinkett Smith and Cardi B Ditch Bras, Blac Chyna Flashes Butt on Red Carpet
- Lorde Scores First No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 Chart With 'Melodrama'
- New 'Marvel's Inhumans' Poster Reveals First Look at Attilan
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Denies Cheating Rumors