Randy Quaid Remains in Jail Despite Judge Granting Release
Randy Quaid and his wife Evi's vandalism case has taken yet another twist - the couple remains in a Canadian jail for reasons unknown, despite a judge granting their release last week on October 22. The Quaids were wanted in Santa Barbara, California after they failed to show up for an arraignment on October 18 to face felony vandalism charges, for allegedly squatting in a Montecito home they once owned.
They were apprehended in Vancouver, Canada last Thursday, October 21 on U.S. warrants and released from custody on Friday, October 22 on $9,750 bail. But a Canada Border Services Agency spokesperson tells The Associated Press on the Quaids remained in detention on Tuesday, October 26. Further details were not disclosed.
The couple previously requested asylum at a Canadian immigration hearing on Friday. Evi Quaid told officials of the Immigration and Refugee Board that they have fled persecution in their native America and want to apply for refugee status in Canada.
She said, "We feel our lives are in danger. Randy has known eight close friends murdered in odd, strange manners... We feel that we're next."
During the break in proceedings, the Quaids' lawyer, Brian Tsuji, read a short, single-sentence statement from the couple to reporters, which only added to the mystery surrounding the case. Their attorney said, "Yes, we are requesting asylum from Hollywood star whackers."
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Finale: Does the Right Contestant Win Season 24?
- Ariana Grande's Mom Rushed Fans to Safety After Explosion at Manchester Concert
- Nicki Minaj Won't Let Terrorists Win, Vows to Perform for Manchester Fans
- Irina Shayk Debuts Amazing Post-Baby Body on Cannes Red Carpet
- Tiny Leans on Floyd Mayweather for Support Following Bitter Split From T.I.
- Emotional Ariana Grande Seen for the First Time After Manchester Concert Bombing
- 'The Flash' Season 3 Finale Confirms the Twisted Theory, Reveals Real Victim
- Scott Disick Hoping for 'Awkward Run-In' With Kourtney Kardashian During Outing With Bella Thorne