Randy Quaid Remains in Jail Despite Judge Granting Release
Randy Quaid and his wife Evi's vandalism case has taken yet another twist - the couple remains in a Canadian jail for reasons unknown, despite a judge granting their release last week on October 22. The Quaids were wanted in Santa Barbara, California after they failed to show up for an arraignment on October 18 to face felony vandalism charges, for allegedly squatting in a Montecito home they once owned.
They were apprehended in Vancouver, Canada last Thursday, October 21 on U.S. warrants and released from custody on Friday, October 22 on $9,750 bail. But a Canada Border Services Agency spokesperson tells The Associated Press on the Quaids remained in detention on Tuesday, October 26. Further details were not disclosed.
The couple previously requested asylum at a Canadian immigration hearing on Friday. Evi Quaid told officials of the Immigration and Refugee Board that they have fled persecution in their native America and want to apply for refugee status in Canada.
She said, "We feel our lives are in danger. Randy has known eight close friends murdered in odd, strange manners... We feel that we're next."
During the break in proceedings, the Quaids' lawyer, Brian Tsuji, read a short, single-sentence statement from the couple to reporters, which only added to the mystery surrounding the case. Their attorney said, "Yes, we are requesting asylum from Hollywood star whackers."
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton
- 'Legends of Tomorrow': Where's Rip Hunter? EP Promises 'You Will Find Out Before the Legends Do'
- George and Amal Clooney Unabashedly Affectionate on Movie Set
- Kris Jenner Tearfully Blasts 'Disloyal' Kim Over Caitlyn Jenner Drama, Wants Her to Pick Sides
- Watch the First Teaser Trailer for Barack Obama Biopic 'Barry'
- Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange Not the Right Magician for Birthday Party. Watch It Yourself!