Randy Quaid Remains in Jail Despite Judge Granting Release
Randy Quaid and his wife Evi's vandalism case has taken yet another twist - the couple remains in a Canadian jail for reasons unknown, despite a judge granting their release last week on October 22. The Quaids were wanted in Santa Barbara, California after they failed to show up for an arraignment on October 18 to face felony vandalism charges, for allegedly squatting in a Montecito home they once owned.
They were apprehended in Vancouver, Canada last Thursday, October 21 on U.S. warrants and released from custody on Friday, October 22 on $9,750 bail. But a Canada Border Services Agency spokesperson tells The Associated Press on the Quaids remained in detention on Tuesday, October 26. Further details were not disclosed.
The couple previously requested asylum at a Canadian immigration hearing on Friday. Evi Quaid told officials of the Immigration and Refugee Board that they have fled persecution in their native America and want to apply for refugee status in Canada.
She said, "We feel our lives are in danger. Randy has known eight close friends murdered in odd, strange manners... We feel that we're next."
During the break in proceedings, the Quaids' lawyer, Brian Tsuji, read a short, single-sentence statement from the couple to reporters, which only added to the mystery surrounding the case. Their attorney said, "Yes, we are requesting asylum from Hollywood star whackers."
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding