Confirmed, Oscar Honoree Jean-Luc Godard Won't Attend
French director Jean-Luc Godard has decided against flying to Hollywood to receive his honorary Academy Award. The film icon was invited to accept a lifetime-achievement prize at the Governor's Awards next month but the 79 year old would not confirm his attendance, telling organizers in September he would be there if his schedule permitted.
But the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences President Tom Sherak announced on Monday, October 25 that the "Breathless" director will not come to the event after a "two month long, cordial exchange of correspondence". According to Sherak, Godard thanked Academy officials for the award, which will be delivered to him in Switzerland after the ceremony.
In a statement, Sherak tells Reuters, "He reiterated his thanks for the award and also sent his good wishes to the other individuals being honored the same night - Kevin Brownlow, Francis Ford Coppola and Eli Wallach - who he refers to as 'the three other musketeers'."
- Nina Dobrev Reveals She Accidentally Exposed Her Genitals During Bikini-Clad Photoshoot
- Nicki Minaj and Meek Mill Apparently Only Fake Their Breakup
- NFL Bans Lady GaGa From Talking About Politics at Super Bowl
- Bella Hadid's 'Hurt and Pissed' The Weeknd Moves On So Fast With Selena Gomez
- Jessica Biel's Thriller 'The Sinner' Gets Series Order at USA Network
- Chelsea Handler Blames the Kardashians for Donald Trump's Election Win. Here's Why
- Lamar Odom Apologizes to Ex Khloe for Her 'Wasted Time and Energy' in Emotional Interview
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character