Confirmed, Oscar Honoree Jean-Luc Godard Won't Attend
French director Jean-Luc Godard has decided against flying to Hollywood to receive his honorary Academy Award. The film icon was invited to accept a lifetime-achievement prize at the Governor's Awards next month but the 79 year old would not confirm his attendance, telling organizers in September he would be there if his schedule permitted.
But the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences President Tom Sherak announced on Monday, October 25 that the "Breathless" director will not come to the event after a "two month long, cordial exchange of correspondence". According to Sherak, Godard thanked Academy officials for the award, which will be delivered to him in Switzerland after the ceremony.
In a statement, Sherak tells Reuters, "He reiterated his thanks for the award and also sent his good wishes to the other individuals being honored the same night - Kevin Brownlow, Francis Ford Coppola and Eli Wallach - who he refers to as 'the three other musketeers'."
- Drake Admits Nicki Minaj Was the Reason Behind His Meek Mill Feud
- 'The Walking Dead' Will Reveal Who Helped Daryl Escape the Sanctuary
- Beyonce Is Suffering From Bad Morning Sickness
- You're Not the Victim! Brad Pitt Blasts Angelina Jolie's Cambodian Interview
- Watch Migos' Energetic Performance of 'Bad and Boujee' on 'Ellen'
- Ryan Seacrest Assures Fans Everything Is OK After Fire Breaks Out at His $50M Mansion
- Pregnant Again? Blac Chyna Sports Suspicious Bump While Stepping Out With Another Man
- Get a Look at Intriguing New Footage of 'King Arthur: Legend of the Sword'