Confirmed, Oscar Honoree Jean-Luc Godard Won't Attend
French director Jean-Luc Godard has decided against flying to Hollywood to receive his honorary Academy Award. The film icon was invited to accept a lifetime-achievement prize at the Governor's Awards next month but the 79 year old would not confirm his attendance, telling organizers in September he would be there if his schedule permitted.
But the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences President Tom Sherak announced on Monday, October 25 that the "Breathless" director will not come to the event after a "two month long, cordial exchange of correspondence". According to Sherak, Godard thanked Academy officials for the award, which will be delivered to him in Switzerland after the ceremony.
In a statement, Sherak tells Reuters, "He reiterated his thanks for the award and also sent his good wishes to the other individuals being honored the same night - Kevin Brownlow, Francis Ford Coppola and Eli Wallach - who he refers to as 'the three other musketeers'."
- Cara Delevingne Goes Bottomless to Raise Awareness for Cancer. See the Racy Snap
- Kim and Kourtney Throw Pampering Session for Khloe Kardashian Following Her Second Divorce Filing
- Listen to The Weeknd and Cashmere Cat's 'Wild Love' Collab
- Robert Zemeckis Developing Noah's Ark in Space for NBC
- Kylie Jenner Flashes Her Bra Like Kendall After Denying Boob Job Rumors
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Put Their Wedding on Hold. Find Out Why!
- Usher Releases Two New Tracks Off 'Hard II Love'
- Rihanna Gets the Biggest Gift Ever From Drake in Honor of Her VMAs Win