Confirmed, Oscar Honoree Jean-Luc Godard Won't Attend
French director Jean-Luc Godard has decided against flying to Hollywood to receive his honorary Academy Award. The film icon was invited to accept a lifetime-achievement prize at the Governor's Awards next month but the 79 year old would not confirm his attendance, telling organizers in September he would be there if his schedule permitted.
But the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences President Tom Sherak announced on Monday, October 25 that the "Breathless" director will not come to the event after a "two month long, cordial exchange of correspondence". According to Sherak, Godard thanked Academy officials for the award, which will be delivered to him in Switzerland after the ceremony.
In a statement, Sherak tells Reuters, "He reiterated his thanks for the award and also sent his good wishes to the other individuals being honored the same night - Kevin Brownlow, Francis Ford Coppola and Eli Wallach - who he refers to as 'the three other musketeers'."
- Kanye West Gives Paralyzed Fan Custom Yeezy Boots
- Beyonce and Jay-Z Hire 18 New Staff for Twin Kids
- Blac Chyna Is Starring in Nicki Minaj's New Music Video
- Ryan Seacrest Is Officially Returning to 'American Idol'
- Eight Times Chrissy Teigen Makes Us ROTFL
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle May 'Get Married Somewhere Private and Elope'
- O.J. Simpson Could Be Denied Parole After Caught Masturbating in Cell
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Leaked Photo Reveals Spider-Man and Doctor Strange's Scene