Drug Dealer Never Regrets Setting Up The Rolling Stones
The drug dealer the The Rolling Stones blamed for setting them up in a high-profile raid on Keith Richards' England home in the 1960s "never showed any remorse" for almost ruining the rockers' careers, according to the police informant's former lover. Richards and Mick Jagger faced charges for possession of cannabis and amphetamines after cops stormed the guitarist's Sussex country estate during a wild party in 1967.
For years the pair blamed a man known only as the Acid King for tipping off cops about the drug and alcohol-fueled bash, because he disappeared and was never seen again after supplying them with the illegal substances. In his new autobiography, "Life", Richards revealed the identity of the Acid King as David Sniderman, claiming he was a police informant who worked with authorities to target the Stones, amid fears about the rockers' growing influence over British youths.
Now the U.K.'s Mail on Sunday newspaper reports Sniderman was a failed actor from Toronto, Canada, who was recruited by undercover agents from the U.K. and U.S. to help discredit the band. Sniderman reportedly escaped to Hollywood after the drug raid and changed his name to David Jove, working as a film producer and director.
And according to his ex-girlfriend, talent agent Maggie Abbott, Sniderman never regretted turning the Stones over to the authorities. She says, "David was a heavy drug user but had a quick wit. He was the perfect choice to infiltrate the Stones."
"He never showed any remorse for what he did. It was all about how he had been 'the victim'. He was a totally selfish person. Mick had been my friend as well as a client and I thought about trying to persuade David to come clean publicly. But he was always armed with a handgun and I feared that if I gave him away, he'd shoot me."
Sniderman allegedly agreed to set up the rock legends after he was caught carrying marijuana through U.K. customs. He died in 2004.
More The Rolling Stones News
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic