The Slits Unveils the Cause of Ari Up's Death
Tragic The Slits star Ari Up was battling cancer in the months leading up to her death on Wednesday, October 20 but failed to tell her band mates how serious her illness had become. The British punk pioneer's stepfather, Sex Pistols rocker John Lydon, previously revealed Up passed away after suffering a "serious illness" and now The Slits' bassist Tessa Pollitt admits the 48 year old had been diagnosed with cancer.
But Up had hidden the news of her declining health from her band mates and they only realized how advanced the disease had become after she died. Pollitt tells NME.com, "Ari didn't want me or the rest of the group to tell anyone that she was ill. We didn't realize how ill she was. Out of respect for the family I don't really want to talk about it. It was cancer, that's all I'll say."
And the grieving star has paid tribute to Up, describing her as a "total rebellious soul". She adds, "(Up was) such a compassionate person, the original wild child, if you will. And a musical genius not really given the recognition in her lifetime."
- DJ Snake Unveils Snippet of Selena Gomez's Version of 'Let Me Love You'
- Britney Spears Calls James Corden 'So Dirty' in Sneak Peek of Their Carpool Karaoke
- Blac Chyna Sued Over Car Crash Caused by Her Friend
- Tyga Ordered to Pay Another Former Landlord $186,000 for Damages
- Avril Lavigne's New Album Is on the Way
- Bella Thorne Comes Out as Bisexual After Photo of Her Kissing Another Woman Emerged
- Amber Rose Rumored to Join 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23
- Check Out First Look at Anthony Hopkins' Odin on Set of 'Thor: Ragnarok'