T.I. Sued for Snubbing Welcome Home Party in His Native Atlanta
T.I.'s legal woes are mounting as he counts down to his latest prison term - he's facing a court battle with a concert promoter over his refusal to perform at a 'welcome home' party earlier this year. The "Live Your Life" hitmaker, real name Clifford Harris, Jr., completed a sentence for weapons possession last December 2009 and signed a deal with Alabama promoter Carl D. Davis to throw a special bash celebrating his return home.
In legal papers filed on Monday, October 18, Davis claims he flew to the rapper's native Atlanta, Georgia and handed over an $80,000 fee to T.I.'s representatives to stage his first gig since his prison release. The event was due to be held at the Birmingham Jefferson Coliseum in May, but problems arose when the hip-hop star went on air and told a local radio DJ he would be hosting the party, but had no plans to perform.
Davis alleges T.I.'s announcement prompted fans to question the validity of the Alabama show, and the event was subsequently scrapped. He claims he suffered severe stress as a result of the canceled gig, including chest pains, nausea, emotional distress and hospitalization, because he had invested his life savings of over $340,000 into the concert.
Davis is suing for compensation. T.I. eventually made his return to the stage in August at a star-studded comeback gig in New York. He is due to report to authorities by November 1 to begin a new 11-month jail term after violating his probation following a drug bust.
More T.I. News
- Lucasfilm Isn't Happy With Alden Ehrenreich's 'Han Solo' Performance
- Israel Names a Beach After Britney Spears
- Taylor Swift Resurfaces With New Look in a Congratulatory Video for Russell Westbrook
- Pregnant Serena Williams Poses Nearly Nude for Vanity Fair
- Scott Disick Risks Liver Failure With His Binge Drinking Habit
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Series Finale Photos: Get First Look at Aria's Wedding Dress
- Is Khloe Kardashian Pregnant? Tristan Thompson Believes She Will Be the 'Best Mom'
- Insecure Kylie Jenner Thinks She's Ugly