Susan Boyle Talks Bullies on 'Oprah Winfrey Show'
Scottish singing sensation Susan Boyle has opened up about the bullies who made her teenage years hell in her new memoirs. With teen tormenting a huge issue in the news right now following a string of bullying-related suicides in recent weeks in America, Boyle joined the celebrities raising awareness about the plight of victims when she appeared on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" on Tuesday, October 19.
Talking about her school days in her native Scotland, which she writes about in autobiography "The Woman I Was Born to Be", Boyle told Winfrey, "(There was) name calling, burning my clothes with a cigarette and trying to trip me up - stuff like that. It wasn't really human and I was being hit round the head and stuff like that. That was physical, but the most hurtful was the psychological things - name calling, repeated name calling... they weren't very nice."
"It made me feel as if nobody loved me, (that) I didn't really matter - I was just a target. Once you give bullies that power, then they've got a hold of you."
Boyle wouldn't always let her teen tormentors get to her: "I used to chase after them... 'I'm gonna get you!'" And she revealed she used her singing skills to win over the worst bullies. The "Wild Horses" hitmaker told Oprah, "You do well in something and you try and gain the respect of someone and that's what I was trying to do with my singing."
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding
- Mariah Carey Reportedly Wants to Withhold Sex Before Her Wedding