Matthew McConaughey Talks About Jamey Johnson Video He Directs
Matthew McConaughey has made his music video directorial debut after taking charge of country star Jamey Johnson's new promo for "Playing the Part". The "Sahara" star jumped behind the camera to call the shots on the set in late September, and he's thrilled with the end product.
He says, "Jamey and this song both have a great sense of humor, so I wanted the video to have a wink to it. For any video, if you like the song, you should like it even more after you see the video. I wanted this video to support the lyrics, and elevate the song...I started out with a 250-pound stripper leaving work in the morning, and ended up with a man in a gorilla suit getting fired from a used tyre store."
Music fan McConaughey, who has his own record label, first tracked down Johnson after falling for his "In Color" ballad. He recalls, "It was echoing from this tiny radio... We didn't know what artist it was, so we looked it up and it was Jamey. I went immediately and bought Jamey's album and said, 'This album is an instant classic'."
The two stars met at the 2009 Academy of Country Music Awards in Las Vegas, where Johnson received the Song of the Year award for 'In Color'. McConaughey chuckles, "I met Jamey backstage, he hit on (my girlfriend) Camila (Alves), we shared a few laughs, and we stayed in touch." Alves then asked Johnson to perform at the actor's surprise 40th birthday party.
- Black Eyed Peas Remakes 'Where Is the Love' With Usher, Jaden Smith and More for Charity
- Emma Roberts Goes Topless for Mario Testino's Towel Series Shot
- Hot Mama! Bar Refaeli Flaunts Her Bikini Body Just Three Weeks After Giving Birth
- ABC Reveals Nick Viall as the Next Bachelor and Spoils the Result of His 'Paradise' Stint
- New 'Doctor Strange' Featurette Offers New Details About Ancient One, Mordo and Kaecilius
- Watch Usher and Future in 'Rivals' Music Video
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: Jared and Caila Prove Their Strong Bond With Bold Move
- Kim Kardashian Flashes Nipples in Intriguing Ensemble During an Outing in NYC