Tarzan's Son Depicter, Johnny Sheffield, Died After Falling From Palm Tree
Johnny Sheffield, the actor who played Tarzan's son in the late 1930s and early 1940s, has died. He was 79. Sheffield portrayed swimming champion-turned-movie star Johnny Weissmuller and Maureen O'Sullivan's orphaned child, Boy, in films like "Tarzan Finds A Son!" and "Tarzan & The Amazons".
He died at his home in Chula Vista, California on Friday, October 15 after suffering a heart attack, according to the Los Angeles Times. His wife Patty tells the publication he fell from a ladder while pruning a palm tree.
The son of British actor Reginald Sheffield was seven when he first auditioned as Boy and beat 300 other kids to land the role of Weissmuller's son, rescued from a jungle plane wreck in which his biological parents are killed. Sheffield had to take swimming lessons from Olympian Weissmuller after studio bosses learned the youngster couldn't swim.
He played Boy in eight "Tarzan" films between 1939 and 1947, and later starred in the "Bomba", the Jungle Boy film series. Sheffield went on to earn a business degree and worked in farming, construction and real estate.
- Keke Palmer Blames the World for 'Ugly' Kylie Jenner's Drastic Transformation
- Britney Spears Mispronounces Tinashe's Name During Onstage Performance
- Tegan and Sara Release 'Miami Vice'-Inspired 'Dying to Know' Video
- Seth Meyers Will End 2016 With Jennifer Lawrence, Arnold Schwarzenegger and More
- Liam Payne Blasts Louis Walsh for Dissing His Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl
- Demi Moore Annoys Mila Kunis for 'Butting in' After Birth of Her Son With Ashton Kutcher
- Get Sneak Peeks of Daredevil and Jessica Jones' Encounter in New 'Defenders' Set Photos
- Find Out Liam Payne's Big Plan to Propose to Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl