Kanye West Admits He Contemplated Suicide
Rapper Kanye West has vowed never to "give up on life again" after revealing he contemplated suicide during his darkest days of depression. The "Stronger" hitmaker made the admission on Monday, October 18 at a Los Angeles screening of his new film "Runaway", which was attended by his close family and famous friends, including Ryan Phillippe, Pete Wentz and his wife Ashlee Simpson.
He refused to go into detail about when he experienced his lowest of lows, but hinted his mother's sudden death in 2007 was the tipping point. But West claimed he stopped himself from taking his own life after realizing he had a duty as a "soldier for culture" to speak out on behalf those whose voices will never be heard.
He told the audience, "There were times that I contemplated suicide. I will not give up on life again. There's so many people that will never get the chance to have their voice heard. I do it for them... I have no mother, no grandmothers, no girlfriend, no daughter, and I lived with a woman my whole life. I feel like a soldier for culture. I have to fight for those who don't have that."
West will make his chart comeback in November when he releases his new album "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy", a year after he stormed the stage at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards and ruined Taylor Swift's acceptance speech.
He fled his home in the U.S. and spent months living on his own in Japan and Italy after the controversy and the rapper insists his time off has given him the opportunity to find his "creative sweet spot" as a child again. He said, "I feel like I've found my creative sweet spot, to think like a five year old at all times. Make a decision like if I was five, what would I like? What would I like before I was taught what to like?"
More Kanye West News
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21 Cast Photos: Meet 30 Girls Vying for Nick Viall's Heart