Kanye West Admits He Contemplated Suicide
Rapper Kanye West has vowed never to "give up on life again" after revealing he contemplated suicide during his darkest days of depression. The "Stronger" hitmaker made the admission on Monday, October 18 at a Los Angeles screening of his new film "Runaway", which was attended by his close family and famous friends, including Ryan Phillippe, Pete Wentz and his wife Ashlee Simpson.
He refused to go into detail about when he experienced his lowest of lows, but hinted his mother's sudden death in 2007 was the tipping point. But West claimed he stopped himself from taking his own life after realizing he had a duty as a "soldier for culture" to speak out on behalf those whose voices will never be heard.
He told the audience, "There were times that I contemplated suicide. I will not give up on life again. There's so many people that will never get the chance to have their voice heard. I do it for them... I have no mother, no grandmothers, no girlfriend, no daughter, and I lived with a woman my whole life. I feel like a soldier for culture. I have to fight for those who don't have that."
West will make his chart comeback in November when he releases his new album "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy", a year after he stormed the stage at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards and ruined Taylor Swift's acceptance speech.
He fled his home in the U.S. and spent months living on his own in Japan and Italy after the controversy and the rapper insists his time off has given him the opportunity to find his "creative sweet spot" as a child again. He said, "I feel like I've found my creative sweet spot, to think like a five year old at all times. Make a decision like if I was five, what would I like? What would I like before I was taught what to like?"
More Kanye West News
- P. Diddy Squashes Breakup Rumors With a Super Sweet Birthday Message for Cassie
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?
- Get Your First Glimpse of Tom Hardy in Christopher Nolan's WWII Film 'Dunkirk'
- Miley Cyrus Sports New Gold Band on Ring Finger. Is She Secretly Married to Liam Hemsworth?
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Cryptic Message After Breakup as Casper Smart Is Reportedly Still in Denial
- Is Britney Spears' 'Glory' Track 'Liar' About Ex Justin Timberlake?
- Donald Glover Addresses Lando Casting Rumor in Han Solo Movie