Russell Brand Handed 'Generous Donation' to Hillsborough Family
Russell Brand has shown off his charitable side - he's made a "generous" donation to support the families affected by Britain's worst ever sporting disaster. The funnyman handed over a substantial sum of money to the Hillsborough Family Support Group after being moved to tears by a member's speech at a memorial service earlier this year.
The campaigning organization provides help for families who lost loved ones in the 1989 Hillsborough Disaster - a horrific crush at a soccer ground in Sheffield, England that left 96 fans of Liverpool Football Club dead and dozens more injured. And Brand was so touched by the relatives' suffering 21 years on, he contacted the group's chairwoman Margaret Aspinall - who lost her son James in the disaster - to offer his support.
She says, "It really came out of the blue. He sent me a letter, which was lovely, and said he would like to meet me. He mentioned the group on a radio interview and said he had watched me speak and it was very moving. He said he loves Liverpool and thinks the work we are doing is very good. It was very nice of him - he did not have to do it. I will not disclose how much he gave us, but it was a generous donation."
More Russell Brand News
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics