Tyler Perry Fights Back Tears When Talking Child Abuse on 'Oprah Winfrey Show'
Moviemaker Tyler Perry choked back tears on a recent "The Oprah Winfrey Show" taping as he recalled his abusive upbringing in New Orleans, Louisiana. The actor/director went public about his awful youth for the first time in a series of posts and musings on his website in 2009 - and only now is he brave enough to talk about his brutal past.
In his interview with pal Oprah Winfrey, which will air in America on Wednesday, October 2, Perry struggled to compose himself as he talked about the day he "died" when he was first raped by a member of his family. The mogul recalled being beaten and sexually abused by a male and a female relative - and how he once blacked out for three days.
And as the tears gave way to rage, Perry told Winfrey, "It's so disgusting." The "Why Did I Get Married?" director, real name Emmitt Perry Jr., also opens up about his efforts to commit suicide when the abuse became too much for him to bear.
- Jealous Rob Kardashian Under Investigation for Threatening Blac Chyna's Alleged Lover
- 'Cormoran Strike' Series Based on J.K. Rowling's Novels Lands at HBO
- Miley Cyrus Talks Engagement Ring That She Puts Back on After Liam Hemsworth Reconciliation
- Raven-Symone to Leave 'The View' For 'That's So Raven' Spin-Off
- Bella Hadid Set to Make Her Victoria's Secret Debut, Gigi Hadid Confirmed to Return
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image