Tyler Perry Fights Back Tears When Talking Child Abuse on 'Oprah Winfrey Show'
Moviemaker Tyler Perry choked back tears on a recent "The Oprah Winfrey Show" taping as he recalled his abusive upbringing in New Orleans, Louisiana. The actor/director went public about his awful youth for the first time in a series of posts and musings on his website in 2009 - and only now is he brave enough to talk about his brutal past.
In his interview with pal Oprah Winfrey, which will air in America on Wednesday, October 2, Perry struggled to compose himself as he talked about the day he "died" when he was first raped by a member of his family. The mogul recalled being beaten and sexually abused by a male and a female relative - and how he once blacked out for three days.
And as the tears gave way to rage, Perry told Winfrey, "It's so disgusting." The "Why Did I Get Married?" director, real name Emmitt Perry Jr., also opens up about his efforts to commit suicide when the abuse became too much for him to bear.
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'
- J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Are Head Over Heels for Each Other
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Attend Funeral for His Nephew
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby