Tyler Perry Fights Back Tears When Talking Child Abuse on 'Oprah Winfrey Show'
Moviemaker Tyler Perry choked back tears on a recent "The Oprah Winfrey Show" taping as he recalled his abusive upbringing in New Orleans, Louisiana. The actor/director went public about his awful youth for the first time in a series of posts and musings on his website in 2009 - and only now is he brave enough to talk about his brutal past.
In his interview with pal Oprah Winfrey, which will air in America on Wednesday, October 2, Perry struggled to compose himself as he talked about the day he "died" when he was first raped by a member of his family. The mogul recalled being beaten and sexually abused by a male and a female relative - and how he once blacked out for three days.
And as the tears gave way to rage, Perry told Winfrey, "It's so disgusting." The "Why Did I Get Married?" director, real name Emmitt Perry Jr., also opens up about his efforts to commit suicide when the abuse became too much for him to bear.
- Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Selena Gomez, Metallica to Perform at 2016 Global Citizen Concert
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support
- Secretly Married? See Miley Cyrus' New Band on Her Ring Finger