Tyler Perry Fights Back Tears When Talking Child Abuse on 'Oprah Winfrey Show'
Moviemaker Tyler Perry choked back tears on a recent "The Oprah Winfrey Show" taping as he recalled his abusive upbringing in New Orleans, Louisiana. The actor/director went public about his awful youth for the first time in a series of posts and musings on his website in 2009 - and only now is he brave enough to talk about his brutal past.
In his interview with pal Oprah Winfrey, which will air in America on Wednesday, October 2, Perry struggled to compose himself as he talked about the day he "died" when he was first raped by a member of his family. The mogul recalled being beaten and sexually abused by a male and a female relative - and how he once blacked out for three days.
And as the tears gave way to rage, Perry told Winfrey, "It's so disgusting." The "Why Did I Get Married?" director, real name Emmitt Perry Jr., also opens up about his efforts to commit suicide when the abuse became too much for him to bear.
- Watch Spider-Man Make Quite an Entrance at 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Premiere
- Swimsuit-Clad Lea Michele Flashes Her Derriere During Hawaiian Getaway
- Big Bang's T.O.P Pleads Guilty to Illegal Marijuana Use: 'I Am Sincerely Embarrassed'
- Saturn Awards 2017: 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story', '10 Cloverfield Lane' Are Big Winners in Film
- Saturn Awards 2017: 'Walking Dead', 'Westworld', 'Supergirl' Top TV Winners
- Adele Says She May Never Go on Tour Again
- Tyra Banks Is Reportedly Readying for Baby No. 2
- Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott Flaunt Couple Rings Amid Rumors He Cheats on Her With 10 Women