Tyler Perry Fights Back Tears When Talking Child Abuse on 'Oprah Winfrey Show'
Moviemaker Tyler Perry choked back tears on a recent "The Oprah Winfrey Show" taping as he recalled his abusive upbringing in New Orleans, Louisiana. The actor/director went public about his awful youth for the first time in a series of posts and musings on his website in 2009 - and only now is he brave enough to talk about his brutal past.
In his interview with pal Oprah Winfrey, which will air in America on Wednesday, October 2, Perry struggled to compose himself as he talked about the day he "died" when he was first raped by a member of his family. The mogul recalled being beaten and sexually abused by a male and a female relative - and how he once blacked out for three days.
And as the tears gave way to rage, Perry told Winfrey, "It's so disgusting." The "Why Did I Get Married?" director, real name Emmitt Perry Jr., also opens up about his efforts to commit suicide when the abuse became too much for him to bear.
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Sneak Peek: Watch 29-Year-Old J. Chosen Blow the Coaches' Mind
- Sinead O'Connor Apologizes for Saying Arsenio Hall Gave Prince Drugs
- See Lethal Charlize Theron in New 'Atomic Blonde' Poster
- Brooklyn Beckham Gets Dating Advice From Anais Gallagher
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered