James Van Der Beek Raises Awareness About Digestive Disorder for Mom
Actor James Van Der Beek is spearheading a new campaign to highlight a disease his mother, a former Broadway dancer, was too embarrassed to talk about. The ex-"Dawson's Creek" star has become the celebrity spokesman for the Voices of UC campaign, which aims to raise awareness about a condition called ulcerative colitis and he reveals he's doing it for his mum.
He tells WENN, "It is a condition that my mother suffered from in silence for years. My mother initially kept her UC diagnosis a secret from most of our family because she was embarrassed and felt uncomfortable talking about it. My dad actually told me."
"It's a chronic condition of the digestive system and affects over 500,000 Americans. It can be very painful and one of the major side effects is it makes people who suffer from it wary of wandering too far from the nearest bathroom."
"It's not something that people like to talk about but it's important that they're honest with their doctors. They just conducted a survey where they found that a third of people who have ulcerative colitis were first misdiagnosed and then it took on average a year and a half and three different doctors to find the right diagnosis and get some treatment."
"Through my involvement in the Voices of UC program, I hope to raise awareness of UC and encourage those who suffer in secret and in silence, like my mom, to speak up about their condition with their families and friends and, most important, their physicians."
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role
- Donald Trump on Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado He Once Called 'Miss Piggy': She's 'the Worst'
- Amy Schumer Is First Woman to Make Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Comedians
- Justin Bieber Blows Snots on Concertgoers After Telling Fans They 'Suck'
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Argue Over Their Hard Lives in 'Fences' Teaser Trailer
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?