James Van Der Beek Raises Awareness About Digestive Disorder for Mom
Actor James Van Der Beek is spearheading a new campaign to highlight a disease his mother, a former Broadway dancer, was too embarrassed to talk about. The ex-"Dawson's Creek" star has become the celebrity spokesman for the Voices of UC campaign, which aims to raise awareness about a condition called ulcerative colitis and he reveals he's doing it for his mum.
He tells WENN, "It is a condition that my mother suffered from in silence for years. My mother initially kept her UC diagnosis a secret from most of our family because she was embarrassed and felt uncomfortable talking about it. My dad actually told me."
"It's a chronic condition of the digestive system and affects over 500,000 Americans. It can be very painful and one of the major side effects is it makes people who suffer from it wary of wandering too far from the nearest bathroom."
"It's not something that people like to talk about but it's important that they're honest with their doctors. They just conducted a survey where they found that a third of people who have ulcerative colitis were first misdiagnosed and then it took on average a year and a half and three different doctors to find the right diagnosis and get some treatment."
"Through my involvement in the Voices of UC program, I hope to raise awareness of UC and encourage those who suffer in secret and in silence, like my mom, to speak up about their condition with their families and friends and, most important, their physicians."
More James Van Der Beek News
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21 Cast Photos: Meet 30 Girls Vying for Nick Viall's Heart