Tyra Banks Sued for Inviting Teenage 'Sex Addict' on Talk Show Without Parent's Consent
Supermodel-turned-TV personality Tyra Banks has been named in a $3 million lawsuit filed against the producers of her talk show after a teenage "sex addict" appeared on the program without her mother's consent.
Georgia resident Beverly McClendon filed suit in an Atlanta federal court earlier this month, claiming Banks, alongside Warner Bros. executives and producers of "The Tyra Banks Show" failed to secure legal permission to air the story of her 15-year-old daughter Jewel Ciera Washington during an episode about sex addiction.
The teenager responded to an open call on the show's website for self-proclaimed sex addicts in October 2009. She was invited to appear as a guest and was flown alone to New York in November 2009. She also claims to have been paid to tell her story.
But McClendon insists TV producers should have alerted her to their plans to feature the girl on the program and violated Georgia state labor laws by failing to do so. In the legal papers, she also objects to the show being promoted as featuring a "15-year-old sex addict", insisting the tag line would have attracted unwanted attention from "sexual deviants, perverts and pedophiles alike".
McClendon is suing on the grounds of negligence and is asking for an injunction against airing any future repeats of the episode, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
- Taylor Kinney Gives Lady GaGa 'Ultimatum' as She's Still Undecided About Wedding Details
- Kim Kardashian Steals the Show at Scott Disick's Birthday Party With Her Barely-There Lace Dress
- Proud Papa Chris Brown Shares Cute Pictures of Royalty to Celebrate Her Birthday
- Amanda Holden Poses Naked for Charity. See the Racy Pic!
- Bruno Mars Is Readying a New Album for November
- Mariah Carey's Diva Antics: She Has Her Glam Team Work on Her While She Sleeps
- Kim Kardashian Kicks Kanye West Out of Their Bel Air House. Why?
- Watch Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus Envision Lighter 'Walking Dead' in NBC's Red Nose Day Special