Attorney for Michael Jackson's Physician Fights Wrongful Death Lawsuit
An attorney for Michael Jackson's embattled physician Dr. Conrad Murray is fighting a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the King of Pop's father, insisting the patriarch has no grounds to sue. Joe Jackson filed the claims against Murray in August, accusing him of administering the fatal dose of the anesthetic Propofol, which led to the singer's death in June 2009.
Joe, who is seeking unspecified damages from the doctor, produced sworn statements regarding the "Thriller" hitmaker's financial records to prove he was being supported by his son at the time of his passing, claiming they give him the legal standing necessary to pursue the wrongful death suit.
A sworn statement submitted by Michael's alleged former manager, Leonard Rowe, claimed the superstar's mum Katherine acted as his agent and handed over cash to Joe to help cover his living expenses. Other court documents, including a declaration from Joe's lawyer Brian Oxman, stated Michael was paying Katherine $50,000 in the early 2000s, but later upped the amount to $66,000, to take care of the family patriarch too.
But Murray's lawyer, Charles Peckham, is appealing to have the statements thrown out of court - because the claims are based on hearsay and cannot be officially determined. Peckham also questions Oxman's credentials in newly-filed court papers, dismissing him as an "incompetent legal expert", and doubts whether Rowe ever officially served as Michael's adviser, reports TMZ.
Murray has pleaded not guilty to a charge of involuntary manslaughter stemming from Jackson's death and is awaiting a preliminary hearing in January 2011 to determine if he will face trial.
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'