Rhys Ifans Urging Government to Legalize Marijuana
Welsh actor Rhys Ifans is calling for cannabis to be legalized in the U.K. - branding the drug "one of life's little pleasures". The "Notting Hill" star, who portrays infamous drug smuggler Howard Marks in upcoming biopic "Mr. Nice", is adamant the criminalization of marijuana is "idiotic" and creates more problems.
And Ifans is urging the British government to consider controlling pot in the same way as tobacco and alcohol. He tells Britain's FHM magazine, "I agree with Howard on this. You look at any culture and prohibition has invariably been an unmitigated failure. It is just idiotic to criminalize any substance, I think. It needs to be controlled, managed."
"If you legalize something then you use the taxation from the sale of that drug to help people who become addicted to those substances. It is not going to go away. The war on drugs is being lost on a daily basis."
"In the past we have had a little smoke, the odd toke. I didn't inhale though. Howard still has a smoke. Everyone has a little smoke once in a while, you know. It's one of life's little pleasures."
- Scarlett Johansson Talks Dating Again as She Thinks Gordon Ramsay 'Is the Hottest Guy'
- Watch Demi Lovato Practice Kissing Using Ed Sheeran Pillow on 'Ew!' With Jimmy Fallon
- Listen to The Chainsmokers' Heartbreaking Ballad 'The One'
- First Official Photos of Alicia Vikander's Lara Croft in 'Tomb Raider' Reboot Are Unveiled
- Nicki Minaj Has Her Eyes on 'Sexy' Nick Cannon Amid Mariah Carey Diss
- Zayn Malik Terrified About Harry Styles' Solo Album: 'He's Going to Steal My Thunder'
- 'Fargo' Season 3 Extended Trailer Sees Ray and Nikki Plotting a Revenge
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24 Week 2: And the First Eliminated Celebrity Is ...