Anti-Fan Offers Weezer $10 Million to Stop Making Music
A Weezer anti-fan has launched an online campaign to stop the band from releasing another album - and he's hoping to raise $10 million to silence them. James Burns, from Seattle, Washington claims he was inspired by friends who are fans of the "Buddy Holly" rockers but disappointed by their recent musical offerings - which he claims have failed to live up to their hit 1996 album "Pinkerton".
Burns has set up a website to help his fundraising efforts, on which he writes, "I have never been a fan of this band. I think that they are pretty much horrible, and always have been. But this isn't about me. This is about the Weezer fans. They are our brothers and sisters, our friends, our lovers. Every year, (frontman) Rivers Cuomo swears that he's changed, and that their new album is the best thing that he's done since 'Pinkerton', and what happens? Another pile of crap like 'Beverly Hills' or 'I'm Your Daddy'."
"This is an abusive relationship, and it needs to stop now. I am tired of my friends being disappointed year after year. I am tired of endless whimsical cutesy album covers and music videos. I'm sick of hearing about whatever this terrible (and yes, even if you like the early stuff, you should be able to admit that they are wretched now) excuse for a band is up to these days. If all 852,000 of you (really?) who bought 'Pinkerton' pitch in $12, we will meet our goal. I beg you, Weezer. Take our money and disappear."
As WENN went to press, Burns has raised just $160.
- Katy Perry's Backup Dancer Falls Offstage During Her BRIT Award Performance
- Rooney Mara's Isla Tries to Commit Suicide in New 'The Discovery' Trailer
- Matt Damon Urging Ben Affleck to Find a New Wife Amid Jennifer Garner Divorce Rumors
- Scarlett Johansson All Smiles During Lunch Date With Mystery Man After Romain Dauriac Split
- The Chainsmokers and Coldplay Team Up for Love Song 'Something Just Like This'
- Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz Are 'Living Separate Lives'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Spin-Off 'Mayans MC' Taps John Ortiz to Star as New Charter President
- Angelina Jolie May Soon Star in 'Maleficent 2'