Daniel Radcliffe Offers Emotional Support for Bullied Kids
"Harry Potter" star Daniel Radcliffe is urging teenagers to offer emotional support to gay peers who become the victims of homophobic bullies following the recent suicides of tormented youths in America. The actor is a long-standing supporter of the Trevor Project, a non-profit group dedicated to crisis support and suicide prevention for youths questioning sexuality issues.
He filmed a public service announcement (PSA) earlier this year urging youths to "be proud" of who they are - and he's reiterating his stance in the wake of a string of apparent suicides linked to sexuality. The most recent, the death of 18-year-old Tyler Clementi last week, sparked outrage after it was revealed his college roommate allegedly posted footage of him having sex with another man online.
And the actor is calling for the needless deaths to stop. Radcliffe says, "Learning about the suicide deaths of Tyler Clementi, Seth Walsh, Asher Walker, Billy Lucas and Justin Aaberg has been heartbreaking for me. These young people were bullied and tormented by people that should have been their friends."
"We have a responsibility to be better to each other, and accept each others' differences regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ability, or religion and stand up for someone when they're bullied. When a friend is feeling depressed or says they're thinking of killing themselves, we must take it seriously and get them help."
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake