Daniel Radcliffe Offers Emotional Support for Bullied Kids
"Harry Potter" star Daniel Radcliffe is urging teenagers to offer emotional support to gay peers who become the victims of homophobic bullies following the recent suicides of tormented youths in America. The actor is a long-standing supporter of the Trevor Project, a non-profit group dedicated to crisis support and suicide prevention for youths questioning sexuality issues.
He filmed a public service announcement (PSA) earlier this year urging youths to "be proud" of who they are - and he's reiterating his stance in the wake of a string of apparent suicides linked to sexuality. The most recent, the death of 18-year-old Tyler Clementi last week, sparked outrage after it was revealed his college roommate allegedly posted footage of him having sex with another man online.
And the actor is calling for the needless deaths to stop. Radcliffe says, "Learning about the suicide deaths of Tyler Clementi, Seth Walsh, Asher Walker, Billy Lucas and Justin Aaberg has been heartbreaking for me. These young people were bullied and tormented by people that should have been their friends."
"We have a responsibility to be better to each other, and accept each others' differences regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ability, or religion and stand up for someone when they're bullied. When a friend is feeling depressed or says they're thinking of killing themselves, we must take it seriously and get them help."
More Daniel Radcliffe News
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding