British Actor Norman Wisdom Died at 95
British actor Norman Wisdom has died after an ongoing battle with ill health. He was 95.
The veteran entertainer passed away at a nursing home on the Isle of Man on Monday, October 4. A statement from the care facility reads, "Over the past six months Sir Norman has sustained a series of strokes causing a general decline in both his mental and physical health."
"He had maintained a degree of independence up until a few days ago... (when) his condition rapidly declined. He was in no pain or distress and peacefully passed away at 18.40 this evening."
Born in 1915, Wisdom made his debut as a professional entertainer at the age of 31 on the West End stage in London. He moved into comedy and earned himself a BAFTA Award for Most Promising Newcomer to Film in 1954 for his turn in "Trouble in Store".
He had an ongoing partnership with the Rank Organization in the 1950s and 1960s and became famous for his clumsy, childlike character Norman Pitkin in films like "On The Beat" and "The Square Peg". Moving to the U.S. in 1966, he received a Tony Award nomination for his stint on Broadway in musical comedy "Walking Happy". He returned to Britain in the late 1960s after his wife, Freda Simpson, left him.
He took time out of the spotlight but won critical acclaim in 1981 for his role as a dying cancer patient in the television play "Going Gently", and he became a household name once again in Britain in the mid-1990s when he briefly joined the cast of beloved TV comedy "Last of the Summer Wine". He received a knighthood in 2000.
Wisdom suffered a health scare in 2006 when he suffered an irregular heart rhythm and was fitted with a pacemaker, but he continued to work as an actor, and won critical acclaim for his role in 2007 short film "Expresso".
He retired to Abbotswood nursing home in the Isle of Man later that year and allowed himself to be filmed for "Wonderland: The Secret Life Of Norman Wisdom Aged 92 and Â¾" - a documentary highlighting the dilemma of coping with an aging parent. As well as his many honors, Wisdom was the official national comedy hero of Albania. He is survived by his son Nicholas and daughter Jacqueline from his marriage to Simpson.
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics