Mandy Moore Helps Prevent Malaria in Africa
Singer Mandy Moore has spent the past week with aid workers in the Central African Republic to experience first-hand the battle against malaria. The star has teamed up with United Nations Foundation's Nothing But Nets campaign and joined workers handing out long-lasting, insecticide-treated mosquito nets in the capital Bangui on Friday, October 1.
The UN intends to distribute nets to every family in the Central African Republic, which has a population of four and a half million people. Moore, who has also spent time with victims of malaria and families devastated by the disease, says, "It was an honor to join this trip to help prevent malaria, which continues to kill nearly one million people every year."
"This week I've met mothers who have lost children to malaria and worry daily about losing others. It is life-changing to be able to give them nets to protect their babies from malaria-carrying mosquitoes while they sleep."
And Moore is appealing to generous fans to make donations to the cause to help the UN Foundation complete its mission. The singer, who visited neighboring Sudan on a similar mission in 2009, says, "We're on our way to reaching our goal of delivering a net to every family in CAR by the end of the year."
"Over the next week the partnership will deliver over 400,000 nets, nearly half the amount it will take to fill the gap. It takes just $10 to help - I hope more people will join us to make sure these families can sleep safely under an anti-malaria net. Together, we can cover the country."
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal