Mandy Moore Helps Prevent Malaria in Africa
Singer Mandy Moore has spent the past week with aid workers in the Central African Republic to experience first-hand the battle against malaria. The star has teamed up with United Nations Foundation's Nothing But Nets campaign and joined workers handing out long-lasting, insecticide-treated mosquito nets in the capital Bangui on Friday, October 1.
The UN intends to distribute nets to every family in the Central African Republic, which has a population of four and a half million people. Moore, who has also spent time with victims of malaria and families devastated by the disease, says, "It was an honor to join this trip to help prevent malaria, which continues to kill nearly one million people every year."
"This week I've met mothers who have lost children to malaria and worry daily about losing others. It is life-changing to be able to give them nets to protect their babies from malaria-carrying mosquitoes while they sleep."
And Moore is appealing to generous fans to make donations to the cause to help the UN Foundation complete its mission. The singer, who visited neighboring Sudan on a similar mission in 2009, says, "We're on our way to reaching our goal of delivering a net to every family in CAR by the end of the year."
"Over the next week the partnership will deliver over 400,000 nets, nearly half the amount it will take to fill the gap. It takes just $10 to help - I hope more people will join us to make sure these families can sleep safely under an anti-malaria net. Together, we can cover the country."
More Mandy Moore News
- Jon Bon Jovi Meets Cancer Patient, Gives Her Guitar, Plays His New Songs
- Diane Kruger Called a 'B***h' for Speaking Up About Gender Inequality in Hollywood
- Lady GaGa Sparks Outrage From Her Chinese Fans After Meeting Dalai Lama
- 'The 9th Life of Louis Drax' First Trailer Is Full of Mysteries
- Stella Maxwell Goes Completely Topless in This NSFW Instagram Photo
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunner Confirms Shorter Two Final Seasons: We Get Close to the Ending
- Kevin Jonas and Wife Danielle Announce Sex of Their 2nd Baby. Is It a Boy or a Girl?
- Calvin Harris Blames Paparazzo for Another Car Accident, but Then Apologizes