Alicia Keys Raises $2.4 Million for Children's Charity
Alicia Keys and her superstar pals Jay-Z, Beyonce Knowles, Whitney Houston and Usher have helped to raise a massive $2.4 million for the R&B singer's children's charity. The "No One" star staged the seventh annual Keep A Child Alive Black Ball in New York on Thursday night, September 30 to generate funds for kids and families in Africa and India affected by HIV and AIDS.
A heavily pregnant Keys, a co-founder of Keep A Child Alive, performed at the event, teaming up for a duet with Sade and with Jay-Z for a rendition of their smash hit "Empire State of Mind", while singer/songwriter Janelle Monae also took to the stage.
Other guests at the high-profile gala included Hollywood actress Uma Thurman and Jennifer Hudson. Keys, who was accompanied at the event by her new husband Swizz Beatz, is overjoyed by the success of the fundraiser and she's determined to teach her unborn child all about the importance of giving.
She tells People, "The baby is going to see everything we do and I think that we are giving individuals. (Even) something small like reaching out to one person in the world can change that one person. That's a big deal. I plan to show that (to my child)."
Prior to Thursday's event, the Black Ball had generated over $10 million for Keep A Child Alive since its inception in 2004.
More Alicia Keys News
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics