Alicia Keys Raises $2.4 Million for Children's Charity
Alicia Keys and her superstar pals Jay-Z, Beyonce Knowles, Whitney Houston and Usher have helped to raise a massive $2.4 million for the R&B singer's children's charity. The "No One" star staged the seventh annual Keep A Child Alive Black Ball in New York on Thursday night, September 30 to generate funds for kids and families in Africa and India affected by HIV and AIDS.
A heavily pregnant Keys, a co-founder of Keep A Child Alive, performed at the event, teaming up for a duet with Sade and with Jay-Z for a rendition of their smash hit "Empire State of Mind", while singer/songwriter Janelle Monae also took to the stage.
Other guests at the high-profile gala included Hollywood actress Uma Thurman and Jennifer Hudson. Keys, who was accompanied at the event by her new husband Swizz Beatz, is overjoyed by the success of the fundraiser and she's determined to teach her unborn child all about the importance of giving.
She tells People, "The baby is going to see everything we do and I think that we are giving individuals. (Even) something small like reaching out to one person in the world can change that one person. That's a big deal. I plan to show that (to my child)."
Prior to Thursday's event, the Black Ball had generated over $10 million for Keep A Child Alive since its inception in 2004.
More Alicia Keys News
- Bella Hadid Flashes Nipples and Panties in New Seductive Pic for Love Magazine
- Lindsay Lohan Really Wants to Play Ariel in 'The Little Mermaid'
- 'Veep': Selina Will Spread Democracy Like 'Patient Zero' in First Teaser for Season 6
- Lifetime's Britney Spears Biopic Slammed by Fans for Blatant Inaccuracies
- Sofia Richie Flashes Nipples in Boob-Baring Outfit at London Fashion Week
- Chelsea Clinton Trolls President Trump on Twitter for His Baffling Sweden Comment
- 'Atlanta', 'Moonlight' and 'The Americans' Among Winners of 2017 Writers Guild Awards
- Artist of the Week: Chance The Rapper