Alicia Keys Raises $2.4 Million for Children's Charity
Alicia Keys and her superstar pals Jay-Z, Beyonce Knowles, Whitney Houston and Usher have helped to raise a massive $2.4 million for the R&B singer's children's charity. The "No One" star staged the seventh annual Keep A Child Alive Black Ball in New York on Thursday night, September 30 to generate funds for kids and families in Africa and India affected by HIV and AIDS.
A heavily pregnant Keys, a co-founder of Keep A Child Alive, performed at the event, teaming up for a duet with Sade and with Jay-Z for a rendition of their smash hit "Empire State of Mind", while singer/songwriter Janelle Monae also took to the stage.
Other guests at the high-profile gala included Hollywood actress Uma Thurman and Jennifer Hudson. Keys, who was accompanied at the event by her new husband Swizz Beatz, is overjoyed by the success of the fundraiser and she's determined to teach her unborn child all about the importance of giving.
She tells People, "The baby is going to see everything we do and I think that we are giving individuals. (Even) something small like reaching out to one person in the world can change that one person. That's a big deal. I plan to show that (to my child)."
Prior to Thursday's event, the Black Ball had generated over $10 million for Keep A Child Alive since its inception in 2004.
More Alicia Keys News
- Police Found No Evidence of Physical Abuse in Amber Heard's Case
- Phil Lord and Chris Miller's 'Spider-Man' Movie May Feature Miles Morales
- Colton Haynes Bares His Butt in This Racy Instagram Photo
- Heidi Klum Declares She 'Won't Get Married Again'
- Rainn Wilson Says Johnny Depp 'Is a Wife Beater'
- Does Tyga Really Owe Kylie Jenner $2 Million?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Teases Jenna's Return: 'I'm in Most of the Season'
- Victoria's Secret Angels Give Justin Timberlake's 'Can't Stop the Feeling' Hotter Music Video