Nicki Minaj Tells Gay Fans to Stand Up to Bullies
Rap newcomer Nicki Minaj has reached out to her gay fans and urged them to stand up to bullies, insisting suicide is "never the answer". The "Your Love" hitmaker was left devastated after learning of four separate incidents in which gay American teenagers had taken their own lives after being bullied for their sexual preferences.
The tragic death of one boy, 18-year-old Tyler Clementi, hit the headlines this week when he jumped off the George Washington Bridge between New York and New Jersey after his roommate allegedly videotaped him having sex with another male and posted the footage on the internet. Lesbian comedienne Ellen DeGeneres and R&B singer Ciara are among the stars who have already publicly appealed for a stop to the tragedies, and now Minaj has called on her gay fans to stay strong and follow their dreams.
She tells MTV News, "I would encourage my gay fans to be fighters and to be brave. People face difficulties, no matter who you are. I faced difficulties with a lot of things. I face opposition every day, but I didn't kill myself and now, thank God, I'm here. So I want my life to be a testimony to my fans and my gay fans."
"I mean I could never imagine what they're going through. But I know that suicide is never the answer and I know that things always get better... It just takes a little willpower. There's an answer. There's always a different way that you can fight people back. And definitely (with) suicide you're giving up and I don't promote giving up. I promote fighting and winning...," she further says. "So I'm supporting you guys. I love you very, very much and for the people who don't love you, they need help."
More Nicki Minaj News
- Two New Characters on 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 Revealed. Get the Details!
- Khloe Kardashian Tries to 'Move On and Focus on Herself' During Her 'Sad' 32nd Birthday
- Ansel Elgort Is in Talks to Star in 'Dungeons and Dragons' Reboot
- Did Britney Spears Delay Single to Include Sample of Justin Timberlake's 'Cry Me a River'?
- George Clooney Reportedly 'Refused' to Protect Wife Amal From 'Bloodthirsty Terrorists'
- Kylie Jenner Asks Tyga to Move Back Into Her House
- Rihanna Is Unhappy Kanye West Put Her in Bed With Donald Trump and George W. Bush in 'Famous' Video
- Iggy Azalea Gets Thanked for 'Ruining Hip-Hop.' See Her Reaction