Elizabeth Hurley to Paint the World Pink to Set Record
Elizabeth Hurley is hoping to paint the world pink in the next 24 hours as part of the launch of a new Estee Lauder breast cancer awareness drive. The British actress/model, who has been the cosmetics company's celebrity breast cancer champion for the past 15 years, is aiming for a world record attempt when monuments around the globe are lit pink from midday, September 30.
The monuments include the Sydney Opera House in Australia and the Empire State Building in New York City. She says, "We're hoping for a new listing for the most monuments lit in a 24 hour period from midday today Eastern time."
Hurley is also launching a new charity lip-gloss and lipstick line that will be sold at Estee Lauder counters around the globe with all proceeds going to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. The star insists she was destined to become such a big part of the Estee Lauder campaign - because company boss Evelyn Lauder asked her to be a part of the project just after the actress lost her grandmother to breast cancer.
She says, "My maternal grandmother died of breast cancer just before I started working with Evelyn and Estee Lauder and so, as soon as she asked me to help, it seemed like the perfect fit because she was one of the ladies that we really had tried to get past all that because she was scared of her breast cancer. She wouldn't tell anyone that she had a lump. So that's really what has inspired us to now really spread the word, so that breast cancer is not a dirty word anymore."
Since starting its pink ribbon campaign 16 years ago, the Estee Lauder company has raised almost $300 million. The new campaign launch will kickstart the upcoming Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which begins on October 3.
- Justin Timberlake Is One Grumpy Doll in First 'Trolls' Trailer
- Stephanie March Reveals Botched Boob Job Amid 2014 Bobby Flay Marriage Trouble
- Peta Murgatroyd Confirms She's Pregnant With Maksim Chmerkovskiy's Baby
- Drew Barrymore in Talks to Host New Talk Show
- Kanye West Signs New Partnership With Adidas to Expand Yeezy Brand
- Dennis Quaid's Wife Kimberly Files for Divorce for Second Time
- Chris Brown Rants on Instagram After Falling Out with Manager and Publicist
- Calvin Harris Won't Date Another Celebrity Thanks to 'Narcissist' Taylor Swift