Bee Gees' Robin Gibb Asking Money for World War II Memorial
Bee Gees star Robin Gibb is stepping up a campaign to build a London war memorial he helped design - he's urging fans to donate money to fund the statue. The singer wants to honor the airmen who gave their lives in World War II with a monument in the British capital's Green Park to mark the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.
The mayor of Dresden, one of the German cities which was ravaged by bombs in 1945, has refused to endorse the construction, insisting it would "not be part of the culture of reconciliation". But Gibb is determined to commemorate the airmen who lost their lives in the battle and went straight back to work on the campaign after undergoing emergency stomach surgery last month.
And now he is appealing for another $2.9 million to be raised by the end of October to ensure the memorial can go ahead. In a special article in Britain's Daily Express he writes, "This memorial is to honor the sacrifice of these airmen who were trying to right a wrong, not to celebrate the bombing of Dresden or any other city..."
"I have had an input on the design and I was very keen that it should be traditional and human. It will be the biggest monument to be built in London for 200 years and will become a major landmark in that part of London. We have successfully raised 3 million pounds but we still need another 1.9 million pounds..."
"I've put my heart and soul into being a champion of this cause. Last month I had emergency stomach surgery. At one stage it was touch and go but as soon as I was back on my feet it was business as usual organizing events for this campaign. I've had a wonderful musical career but standing alongside some of the veterans to see this public memorial unveiled will make me as proud as anything I've achieved."
- Get a Look at Intriguing New Footage of 'King Arthur: Legend of the Sword'
- Nicole Scherzinger Flashes Ample Cleavage and Toned Abs for New Ad
- Kurt Sutter Reveals The Mayans Originally Didn't Exist in 'Sons of Anarchy'
- Colton Haynes Introduces New Boyfriend Jeff Leatham
- First Look at Kurt Russell as Ego the Living Planet in 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Here's the First Look of Shocker's Costume in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Watch John Legend's Show-Stopping Performance at NBA All-Star Game 2017 Halftime Show
- Madonna's Malawi Twins' Father Says He Didn't Realize the Adoption Was Permanent