Ronnie James Dio to Be Honored With Statue in Bulgaria
Late rocker Ronnie James Dio is to be honored in Bulgaria - a statue of the Heaven and Hell star will be unveiled in a Kavarna park. Town Mayor Tzonko Tzonev led the charge to pay tribute to Dio as a mark of respect to the rock star, who became one of Bulgaria's top concert draws and was instrumental in campaigning for the liberation of a group of the nation's nurses imprisoned in Libya.
Rock news website Blabbermouth reports a replica of the monument was displayed during the three-day Kavarna Rock Fest in July. Sculptors Alexander Petrov and Krasimir Krastev-Lomsky have been commissioned to create Dio's likeness. Dio was one of the first heavy rock icons to play Kavarna, and performed in Bulgaria five times. The rocker lost his battle with stomach cancer in May.
According to the site, the actual statue will be 1.5 meters in height and will be combined with large stones taken from the sea.
- The Great War Is Coming in First Trailer for 'Game of Thrones' Season 7
- First Look at Benicio Del Toro and Laura Dern, Captain Phasma Unmasked in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'
- Beware Angelina Jolie! Brad Pitt Is Ready to Publish a Tell-All
- Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson Are Fighting Over 'The Voice' Gig
- Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon Are Planning to Remarry This Summer
- Fans Are Begging Justin Bieber to Cancel His Upcoming U.K. Concerts
- Beyonce's Security Team Conducting Trial Runs for Her Delivery
- AOA's Choa Wipes Her Instagram Account Clean Following Dating Rumors