Ronnie James Dio to Be Honored With Statue in Bulgaria
Late rocker Ronnie James Dio is to be honored in Bulgaria - a statue of the Heaven and Hell star will be unveiled in a Kavarna park. Town Mayor Tzonko Tzonev led the charge to pay tribute to Dio as a mark of respect to the rock star, who became one of Bulgaria's top concert draws and was instrumental in campaigning for the liberation of a group of the nation's nurses imprisoned in Libya.
Rock news website Blabbermouth reports a replica of the monument was displayed during the three-day Kavarna Rock Fest in July. Sculptors Alexander Petrov and Krasimir Krastev-Lomsky have been commissioned to create Dio's likeness. Dio was one of the first heavy rock icons to play Kavarna, and performed in Bulgaria five times. The rocker lost his battle with stomach cancer in May.
According to the site, the actual statue will be 1.5 meters in height and will be combined with large stones taken from the sea.
- Michelle Rodriguez Threatens to Quit 'Fast and Furious' Franchise Over Its Depiction of Women
- Paris Hilton and Chris Zylka Are Reportedly Getting Engaged Soon
- Missing the Kids, Brad Pitt Urges Angelina Jolie to Have Family Reunion
- Watch Nick Jonas' Calvin Klein-Esque Video for 'Remember I Told You' Ft. Anne-Marie and Mike Posner
- 'The Bachelorette' Recap: Rachel Ends Lee-Kenny Feud, Sends Home Six Guys
- Report: Rob Kardashian Says He Pays All of Blac Chyna's Bills
- 'America's Got Talent' Week 5: Guy Sings Whitney Houston's 'I Have Nothing' Like It's Nothing
- Remy Ma Totally Expects Nicki Minaj's Diss at NBA Awards