'Sesame Street' Producer: Katy Perry Clip Was Not Inappropriate
"Sesame Street" 's executive producer has defended TV bosses' decision to invite Katy Perry onto the iconic children's show, despite the public uproar her revealing outfit caused earlier this week. The pop star shot a special guest segment for the program, in which she sings a child-friendly version of her chart hit "Hot N Cold" with beloved puppet character Elmo.
The clip, filmed as part of the upcoming 41st season of Sesame Street, recently hit the internet - sparking a wave of complaints from parents concerned Perry's low-cut dress was too revealing for kids' TV. The deluge of criticism prompted TV executives to axe Perry's New Year's Eve appearance altogether - but top producer Carol-Lynne Parente admits she was surprised by the fuss the clip caused because they didn't think the footage of Perry's bouncing cleavage was that bad.
Parente says, "We would never produce anything we thought was inappropriate. We were surprised not only by the amount of feedback, but how fast it came in. It was a lot." Parente insists not all comments were complaints but show bosses decided to ditch the segment to avoid any further controversy.
She explains, "We have a great interactive relationship with our viewers. They trust Sesame Street and we take that seriously. Parents' opinions are very important to us." And Parente still stands by Perry's talents as a singer, describing her as "a wonderful musical talent", adding "We had a great time."
Perry has since posted footage of her appearance on her official website so fans can judge for themselves.
More Katy Perry News
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences