Helen Mirren Still Sore About 30-Year-Old TV Interview
British actress Helen Mirren is still sore about a 30-year-old TV interview, during which she was quizzed about her body and the nude scenes she showed it off in. "The Queen" star's 1975 meeting with beloved British TV personality Michael Parkinson was one of her first chat show appearances - and his line of questioning left her shaken and upset.
But instead of showing the host how she felt, she turned the interview on him and made it a very awkward encounter. And when Parkinson quizzed her about her "physical attributes", referring to her breasts, the actress help up her hands and asked, "My fingers?"
Recalling the TV moment in the new issue of feminism publication Bust, Mirren says, "It was enraging but it was par for the course to a certain extent. It was fairly common, that kind of attitude. Looking back, I think I handled it really well. It was the first time I had ever done a talk show, ever. I'd only done Shakespeare (plays) before, and I was terribly nervous, and I was mortified by the end of it (interview)... but I wasn't taking it."
And the Oscar winner is delighted that modern young stars don't have to accept bad behavior from chat show hosts, saying "At least now young actresses can say, 'F**k off,' and still work again."
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance