Helen Mirren Still Sore About 30-Year-Old TV Interview
British actress Helen Mirren is still sore about a 30-year-old TV interview, during which she was quizzed about her body and the nude scenes she showed it off in. "The Queen" star's 1975 meeting with beloved British TV personality Michael Parkinson was one of her first chat show appearances - and his line of questioning left her shaken and upset.
But instead of showing the host how she felt, she turned the interview on him and made it a very awkward encounter. And when Parkinson quizzed her about her "physical attributes", referring to her breasts, the actress help up her hands and asked, "My fingers?"
Recalling the TV moment in the new issue of feminism publication Bust, Mirren says, "It was enraging but it was par for the course to a certain extent. It was fairly common, that kind of attitude. Looking back, I think I handled it really well. It was the first time I had ever done a talk show, ever. I'd only done Shakespeare (plays) before, and I was terribly nervous, and I was mortified by the end of it (interview)... but I wasn't taking it."
And the Oscar winner is delighted that modern young stars don't have to accept bad behavior from chat show hosts, saying "At least now young actresses can say, 'F**k off,' and still work again."
More Helen Mirren News
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris