Aretha Franklin Blasts Officers in Giving Bad Impression of Her Son
Aretha Franklin has come to the defense of her badly beaten son following reports he refused to co-operate with police in the aftermath of his gas station attack - insisting his injuries prevented him from giving a statement. Eddie Franklin, 52, was allegedly attacked on the forecourt of a garage in Detroit, Michigan on Monday, September 20 night.
He was hospitalized and underwent emergency surgery, but reportedly discharged himself from the medical facility before cops arrived to talk to him about the incident. A police spokeswoman confirmed officers were interested in talking to Eddie after being told he "walked out (of hospital) on his own" and urged him to report the crime.
The Queen of Soul has now come forward to explain why her son was not able to talk to police straight away - his jaw has been wired shut by doctors. She also criticized cops for talking to the media and giving "the impression that my son was not being cooperative".
Franklin says, "After observing my son on Tuesday, it was clear that he was unable to communicate with anyone after such a traumatic attack and with his jaw wired. The officer probably would not have been able to give a statement if he had been attacked by three men the very next day, either, and it was totally unreasonable to expect Eddie to do so as if he were not being cooperative."
The news comes after Franklin canceled a gig in Kansas City, Missouri to take care of Eddie as he recovers from his ordeal. Chaka Khan has now stepped in to take Franklin's place at the concert on Sunday, September 26.
More Aretha Franklin News
- Two More Actors Join 'Spider-Man: Homecoming', New Set Photos Are Released
- 'Mr. Robot' Season 2 Gets Additional Episodes and an Aftershow
- Jamie Foxx Spotted Holding Hands With Mystery Woman. Cheating on Katie Holmes?
- Fifth Harmony Ladies Strip Down to Skimpy Bikinis in 'All in My Head' Video Ft. Fetty Wap
- 'Step Up' Series Coming to YouTube With Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Attached
- Harry Styles Signs Solo Deal With Columbia Records. Time to Say Goodbye to 1D?
- 'Big Brother 18': And the First Evicted Houseguest Is...
- Check Out Details of Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston's 'Intimate' Dinner in Nashville