Aretha Franklin Blasts Officers in Giving Bad Impression of Her Son
Aretha Franklin has come to the defense of her badly beaten son following reports he refused to co-operate with police in the aftermath of his gas station attack - insisting his injuries prevented him from giving a statement. Eddie Franklin, 52, was allegedly attacked on the forecourt of a garage in Detroit, Michigan on Monday, September 20 night.
He was hospitalized and underwent emergency surgery, but reportedly discharged himself from the medical facility before cops arrived to talk to him about the incident. A police spokeswoman confirmed officers were interested in talking to Eddie after being told he "walked out (of hospital) on his own" and urged him to report the crime.
The Queen of Soul has now come forward to explain why her son was not able to talk to police straight away - his jaw has been wired shut by doctors. She also criticized cops for talking to the media and giving "the impression that my son was not being cooperative".
Franklin says, "After observing my son on Tuesday, it was clear that he was unable to communicate with anyone after such a traumatic attack and with his jaw wired. The officer probably would not have been able to give a statement if he had been attacked by three men the very next day, either, and it was totally unreasonable to expect Eddie to do so as if he were not being cooperative."
The news comes after Franklin canceled a gig in Kansas City, Missouri to take care of Eddie as he recovers from his ordeal. Chaka Khan has now stepped in to take Franklin's place at the concert on Sunday, September 26.
- Dr. Dre Detained Outside His Malibu House After an Alleged Road Rage
- Sarah Silverman Gets Booed for Mocking Bernie Sanders Supporters at DNC
- Kiersey Clemons Confirmed to Star as Iris West in 'The Flash' Movie
- Mariah Carey's Fiance James Packer Grabs Her Boob While Partying in Italy
- 'The Bachelorette': JoJo Picks Final Two After Ruining a Suitor's Fantasy Suite Date
- Justin Bieber and Cody Simpson's Unreleased Song 'Stay Together' Surfaces Online
- 'He's a Dirty Dog!' Sharon Osbourne Blasts Ozzy for Comments on Their Marriage
- Katharine McPhee and Boyfriend Elyes Gabel Call It Quits After Two Years