Aretha Franklin Blasts Officers in Giving Bad Impression of Her Son
Aretha Franklin has come to the defense of her badly beaten son following reports he refused to co-operate with police in the aftermath of his gas station attack - insisting his injuries prevented him from giving a statement. Eddie Franklin, 52, was allegedly attacked on the forecourt of a garage in Detroit, Michigan on Monday, September 20 night.
He was hospitalized and underwent emergency surgery, but reportedly discharged himself from the medical facility before cops arrived to talk to him about the incident. A police spokeswoman confirmed officers were interested in talking to Eddie after being told he "walked out (of hospital) on his own" and urged him to report the crime.
The Queen of Soul has now come forward to explain why her son was not able to talk to police straight away - his jaw has been wired shut by doctors. She also criticized cops for talking to the media and giving "the impression that my son was not being cooperative".
Franklin says, "After observing my son on Tuesday, it was clear that he was unable to communicate with anyone after such a traumatic attack and with his jaw wired. The officer probably would not have been able to give a statement if he had been attacked by three men the very next day, either, and it was totally unreasonable to expect Eddie to do so as if he were not being cooperative."
The news comes after Franklin canceled a gig in Kansas City, Missouri to take care of Eddie as he recovers from his ordeal. Chaka Khan has now stepped in to take Franklin's place at the concert on Sunday, September 26.
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie
- J.K. Rowling Quickly Shuts Down 'The Cursed Child' Movie Trilogy Rumor
- Kate Hudson's Brother Hilariously Reacts to Rumor That the Actress Is Dating Brad Pitt
- Adele Added to 2017 Grammy Award Performers List
- LGBT Page Disappears From White House's Website After Trump's Inauguration, Twitter Freaks Out
- Shia LaBeouf Starts Four-Year Anti-Trump Live-Stream Protest on Inauguration Day
- 'House of Cards' Unveils Chilling Teaser for Season 5 on Trump's Inauguration Day
- 'Green Lantern Corps' Is Eying Ryan Reynolds, Bradley Cooper and Tom Cruise