Michael Jackson's Estate Settles Outstanding Invoice With 2005 Trial Lawyer
The lawyer who secured Michael Jackson's freedom in his 2005 molestation trial has settled an outstanding invoice with the executors of the King of Pop's estate. Top celebrity attorney Tom Mesereau was one of many Jackson affiliates who filed a creditor's claim with the estate following the pop star's death in June 2009, alleging he was still owed $341,452.05 for his services.
Mesereau defended the late "Thriller" hitmaker during his highly-publicized court case, in which Jackson faced seven counts of child molestation and two of administering an intoxicating agent to a 13-year-old boy. The singer denied all charges and, in June 2005, he was acquitted on all counts.
Now Mesereau has finally been paid in full for his work, five years after the trial closed. The settlement was declared in legal papers filed by the estate bosses in Los Angeles Superior Court on Wednesday, September 22.
In the documents, obtained by TMZ, the executors explain how they managed to overcome Jackson's huge debts and make a profit for the estate, revealing the "This Is It" concert documentary grossed $260 million to become the most lucrative in history, while the accompanying album sold five million copies, making it the third biggest record of 2009.
In addition, the court papers state a creditor's claim filed by Jackson's personal chef Kai Chase, who was at his Holmby Hills mansion when he died, had also been settled, with executors paying part of the $8,000 she requested.
More Michael Jackson News
- Here's What Blac Chyna Thinks of Kylie Jenner Playing Step Mom to King Cairo
- 'Mr. Robot' 2.09 Preview: It's Time to Go Home
- Lady GaGa's New Song 'Perfect Illusion' Reportedly due Out Next Week
- Three Potential Directors Lined Up to Helm 'Captain Marvel'
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Maksim Chmerkovskiy Will Return, Ryan Lochte Is in Talks for Season 23
- Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie for Her Birthday After Partying With Bronte Blampied
- Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj to Perform 'Side to Side' at 2016 MTV VMAs
- Inside Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom's Proposal Plans