Michael Jackson's Estate Settles Outstanding Invoice With 2005 Trial Lawyer
The lawyer who secured Michael Jackson's freedom in his 2005 molestation trial has settled an outstanding invoice with the executors of the King of Pop's estate. Top celebrity attorney Tom Mesereau was one of many Jackson affiliates who filed a creditor's claim with the estate following the pop star's death in June 2009, alleging he was still owed $341,452.05 for his services.
Mesereau defended the late "Thriller" hitmaker during his highly-publicized court case, in which Jackson faced seven counts of child molestation and two of administering an intoxicating agent to a 13-year-old boy. The singer denied all charges and, in June 2005, he was acquitted on all counts.
Now Mesereau has finally been paid in full for his work, five years after the trial closed. The settlement was declared in legal papers filed by the estate bosses in Los Angeles Superior Court on Wednesday, September 22.
In the documents, obtained by TMZ, the executors explain how they managed to overcome Jackson's huge debts and make a profit for the estate, revealing the "This Is It" concert documentary grossed $260 million to become the most lucrative in history, while the accompanying album sold five million copies, making it the third biggest record of 2009.
In addition, the court papers state a creditor's claim filed by Jackson's personal chef Kai Chase, who was at his Holmby Hills mansion when he died, had also been settled, with executors paying part of the $8,000 she requested.
- Blac Chyna Stuns in New Topless Picture. See Her Enviable Post-Baby Body
- Watch Lady GaGa and Stevie Wonder's Performances at Elton John's 70th Star-Studded Birthday Party
- Brad Pitt Is Ready to Mend His Relationship With Angelina Jolie for the Sake of Their Kids
- Cyborg's Story Is the Heart of 'Justice League', Says Zack Snyder
- Drake's 'More Life' Dethrones Ed Sheeran's 'Divide' on Billboard 200
- 'The Walking Dead' Season Finale Sneak Peeks Tease Betrayal and the Big War
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Debuts First Official Logo
- Katy Perry and Ryan Phillippe Spotted Flirting During Elton John's Birthday Party