Sean Penn to Receive Humanitarian Award for Haiti Work
Actor and activist Sean Penn has been honored for his charity work in Haiti with this year's Hollywood Humanitarian Award. The Oscar winner co-founded the J/P HRO Haitian Relief Organization in the wake of the January earthquake and has spent months in the Caribbean nation helping to distribute food and medical supplies, as well as build schools and hospitals.
He has also set up a campsite in the country's capital, Port-au-Prince, to help provide temporary housing for an estimated 50,000 survivors left homeless by the tremors. Penn was made a knight in Haiti in July - and now his tireless charity work has landed him another accolade. He'll be the star guest at next month's Hollywood Awards Gala Ceremony to pick up the humanitarian prize.
Hollywood Film Festival Founder and Executive Director Carlos de Abreu says, "It is an honor to recognize the inspiring humanitarian efforts that Sean Penn and his J/P Haitian Relief Organization have been providing to the great people of Haiti."
More Sean Penn News
- Super Junior's Leeteuk Gets Robbed in Switzerland
- Kardashian-Jenner Sisters Throw Surprise Birthday Party for Khloe
- Evidence of Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo's Rendezvous in Bali Revealed
- Living Life to the Fullest! Brad Pitt Caught Cozying Up to Sienna Miller and Elle Macpherson
- Louis Tomlinson Was Feeling Left Out of One Direction: 'What Have I Really Done to Contribute Here?'
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop Accused by NASA of Scamming Customers With Healing Stickers
- Liev Schreiber Spotted With Another Woman Amid Dating Rumors With Gerard Butler's Ex Morgan Brown
- Future and Chris Brown Are Total Womanizers in Sexy 'Pie' Video