Kevin Costner Testifies Before Congress at Oil Spill Hearings
Kevin Costner has returned to Washington, D.C. to urge top U.S. politicians to ensure there will never be another oil disaster like the one that destroyed wildlife and shorelines in the Gulf of Mexico. The BP spill, which has now been capped, lasted for over 100 days earlier this year as gallons upon gallons of oil leaked into the sea, and Costner was a big part of the clean-up attempts.
The actor's brother Dan invented an oil-filtration system and Costner sold 32 devices to BP bosses through the siblings' company Costner Industries Nevada Corporation. The systems helped the oil experts minimize the damage caused by the massive slick, which started drifting ashore on America's Gulf Coast since a rig ruptured in April.
And on Wednesday, September 22, Costner was in the U.S. capital to testify before Congress at the oil spill hearings. The "Dances with Wolves" star told politicians he was concerned by the amount of time it took leaders to get to grips with the oil leak problem - and he wants the government to invest in a new project which would ensure that any future oil spill disasters in the Gulf of Mexico are dealt with more efficiently.
He said, "Americans demand that this nightmare that continues to chase us into the 21st century be solved with real solutions... that don't depend on dispersant, burning and public relations. What we don't need is a cosmetic show of force or a 500-page report that's obsolete."
Kevin Costner at Oil Spill Hearings:
- Watch Fergie's 'M.I.L.F. $' Music Video Starring Kim Kardashian and Chrissy Teigen
- Justin Bieber Posts Cryptic Message About Relationship, Says He'd 'Rather Be Lonely'
- Kim Kardashian on Butt Pads Allegations: 'I Don't Need Them'
- Lil' Kim Cancels Performance at Essence Festival
- Tyga Romances Blonde Beauty in '1 of 1' Music Video
- David Foster's Daughters: Yolanda Hadid Is Not Dying if She Continues to Be on Reality Show
- Alexander Skarsgard Laughs Off Wedding Plan Rumor
- Judi Dench Gets Her First Tattoo at Her 81st Birthday