Oprah Winfrey Hands $6 Million Checks to Help Schools
TV titan Oprah Winfrey has shown off her generosity by handing over $6 million to organizations which help troubled schools in America. The talk show host donated the sum to six educational institutes in Philadelphia, California, Colorado, Illinois, Louisiana and Texas in a bid to boost their good work.
Winfrey's Angel Network charitable organization described them as "ground-breaking leaders in the provision of quality public education". The donation announcement came as the star hosted a panel of education reform advocates on Monday, September 20, which saw Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Davis Guggenheim, the director of upcoming documentary film "Waiting for Superman", support the cause.
More Oprah Winfrey News
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival