Oprah Winfrey Hands $6 Million Checks to Help Schools
TV titan Oprah Winfrey has shown off her generosity by handing over $6 million to organizations which help troubled schools in America. The talk show host donated the sum to six educational institutes in Philadelphia, California, Colorado, Illinois, Louisiana and Texas in a bid to boost their good work.
Winfrey's Angel Network charitable organization described them as "ground-breaking leaders in the provision of quality public education". The donation announcement came as the star hosted a panel of education reform advocates on Monday, September 20, which saw Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Davis Guggenheim, the director of upcoming documentary film "Waiting for Superman", support the cause.
- Wait... What? Is Tiger Woods Saying He Doesn't Regret Cheating on Elin Nordegren?
- Marvel Pulls 'Invincible Iron Man' Cover After Accusations of 'Sexualizing' Its Underage Hero
- No More Sexy Selfies? Kim Kardashian Is Re-Emerging 'More Covered Up' and 'Less Make-Up'
- Drake Hints at Releasing New Music on His 30th Birthday. Get Details on His Celebration
- Blac Chyna Pokes Fun at Her Pregnancy Curves, Compares Herself to a Pokemon
- Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal's Love Turns to Hatred in 'Nocturnal Animals' First Full Trailer
- Jay-Z and Beyonce Are Both Upset With 'Nut Job' Kanye West Following His Rant
- Justin Bieber Scolds Concertgoers for Screaming at Manchester Show