Hayden Panettiere Cast as Murderer, Beating Out Kristen Stewart
Hayden Panettiere has beaten out competition from Lindsay Lohan, Megan Fox and Kristen Stewart to bring the sensational story of convicted murderer Amanda Knox to the small screen. The "Heroes" actress has signed a deal with America's Lifetime network to star in "The Amanda Knox Story", the Hollywood tale of the real-life U.S. exchange student's sensational Italian murder trial surrounding the brutal killing of her roommate.
Knox became an object of international fascination at 20, when she and her Italian boyfriend were arrested in the country in November 2007 and accused by prosecutors of killing 21-year-old Meredith Kercher during a violent night fueled by sex and drugs. Knox, her boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito and Italian native Rudy Guede were charged with sexually assaulting Kercher, while the American was accused of slashing her roommate's throat with a knife.
Knox's 11-month trial ended in December 2009, and she was sentenced to 26 years in prison in an Italian jail. She maintains her innocence and has filed an appeal.
Sollecito received 25 years and, in a separate trial, Guede received 30 years.
"The Amanda Knox Story" is set to broadcast on U.S. TV in 2011.
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says