John Lennon's Intimate Photo With Yoko Ono Auctioned
An intimate photo shot by Annie Leibovitz featuring John Lennon embracing Yoko Ono days before the rocker was killed is going up for auction in New York next month.
The image was one of a series of pictures taken for Rolling Stone magazine in December 1980, the issue bearing the famous cover photo of a naked Lennon kissing a fully-clothed Ono. The shot is one of 40 copies in existence and has been placed on the auction block by a private collector.
It is expected to sell for between $10,000 and $15,000 at the Swann Auction Galleries sale on October 19.
Lennon was shot dead outside his Manhattan apartment in December 1980. 25-year-old Mark David Chapman caught up with the legend at The Dakota, New York and fired his guns to his back. Lennon was pronounced dead upon arriving at hospital.
More John Lennon News
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'
- Wishes Turn Into Nightmares in 'Wish Upon' New Trailer
- Sade Convinces Drake Not to Diss Kendrick Lamar Over a Track
- Selena Gomez Cheers on The Weeknd at Brazilian Concert
- 'Power Rangers' Future Installment May Feature Female Green Ranger
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss on the Ending: No One Can Get Happy Ending Without Some Struggle