Tom Cruise and Madonna Were First Choices for 1990 'Goodfellas'
Superstars Tom Cruise and Madonna were movie bosses' first choices for the lead roles in iconic 1990 mafia movie "Goodfellas". Studio chiefs were desperate to cast Cruise in the role of mobster Henry Hill and Madonna was wanted to play his wife - until Ray Liotta and Lorraine Bracco won over Scorsese and the movie's producers.
Speaking to GQ magazine on "Goodfellas" ' 20th anniversary, producer Irwin Winkler admits, "Tom Cruise was discussed. Marty wanted Ray... Frankly I thought we could do a lot better and then me and my wife were having dinner one night in a restaurant and lo and behold, Ray Liotta came over to me."
"He said, 'Look, I know you don't really want me for it, but... ' And he sold me on the role right that evening. I called Marty the next morning." Bracco beat out Madonna for the role of Karen Hill, despite Scorsese initially favoring the "Material Girl".
Fellow producer Barbara De Fina says, "Madonna seemed to be in the mix. I remember that we went to see her in the play 'Speed-the-Plow'. Marty said hello to her afterward. Can you imagine? Tom Cruise and Madonna? But Marty can get a performance out of almost anyone."
More Tom Cruise News
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby
- Mama June Feels 'Like Frankenstein' After Skin Removal Surgery. Is She Giving Up?
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani 'Torn Apart' by Her 'Flirtation' With 'The Voice' Contestant
- Katy Perry Reportedly Still Loves John Mayer. Will They Rekindle Their Romance?
- Trey Songz Slams Nicki Minaj: She Ain't Had S**t Before Me
- Han Solo Movie Adds 'Sing Street' Star Ian Kenny