Tom Cruise and Madonna Were First Choices for 1990 'Goodfellas'
Superstars Tom Cruise and Madonna were movie bosses' first choices for the lead roles in iconic 1990 mafia movie "Goodfellas". Studio chiefs were desperate to cast Cruise in the role of mobster Henry Hill and Madonna was wanted to play his wife - until Ray Liotta and Lorraine Bracco won over Scorsese and the movie's producers.
Speaking to GQ magazine on "Goodfellas" ' 20th anniversary, producer Irwin Winkler admits, "Tom Cruise was discussed. Marty wanted Ray... Frankly I thought we could do a lot better and then me and my wife were having dinner one night in a restaurant and lo and behold, Ray Liotta came over to me."
"He said, 'Look, I know you don't really want me for it, but... ' And he sold me on the role right that evening. I called Marty the next morning." Bracco beat out Madonna for the role of Karen Hill, despite Scorsese initially favoring the "Material Girl".
Fellow producer Barbara De Fina says, "Madonna seemed to be in the mix. I remember that we went to see her in the play 'Speed-the-Plow'. Marty said hello to her afterward. Can you imagine? Tom Cruise and Madonna? But Marty can get a performance out of almost anyone."
More Tom Cruise News
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake