George Michael Moved to Highpoint Prison
George Michael has been transferred to a prison outside of London to serve out the remainder of his jail sentence. The former Wham! singer was locked up in the U.K. capital's tough Pentonville jail on Tuesday, September 14 after he was sentenced to eight weeks behind bars for possession of cannabis and driving under the influence of drugs.
He dropped a planned appeal against his sentence on Friday, September 17, just hours ahead of a scheduled appeal and bail hearing at a court in London. Instead he spent the day traveling 70 miles (112 kilometers) from Britain's capital to Highpoint Prison in Suffolk, England where he will serve out the rest of his sentence.
Michael's sentence stems from his arrest in July after he crashed into a shopfront near his home in Hampstead, north London. The star admitted smoking dope before climbing behind the wheel.
As well as the jail time, Michael was fined $1,875 with $150 in court costs, and banned from the roads for five years.
- Taylor Swift's Squad Reportedly Abandons Her After Her 'Embarrassing Feuds and Breakups'
- Watch Britney Spears' Performance at Apple Music Festival in London
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Eliminates Second Pair of Season 23
- Miley Cyrus Disses Mariah Carey, Says 'I've Never Really Been a Fan'
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Reveals How 'Mary Poppins Returns' Connects to Original Movie
- FKA twigs Ditches Her Engagement Ring When Arriving at LAX With Robert Pattinson
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Aren't Speaking, but Not Breaking Up
- NBC's 'This Is Us' Is the First Freshman to Get Full Season Order