George Michael Moved to Highpoint Prison
George Michael has been transferred to a prison outside of London to serve out the remainder of his jail sentence. The former Wham! singer was locked up in the U.K. capital's tough Pentonville jail on Tuesday, September 14 after he was sentenced to eight weeks behind bars for possession of cannabis and driving under the influence of drugs.
He dropped a planned appeal against his sentence on Friday, September 17, just hours ahead of a scheduled appeal and bail hearing at a court in London. Instead he spent the day traveling 70 miles (112 kilometers) from Britain's capital to Highpoint Prison in Suffolk, England where he will serve out the rest of his sentence.
Michael's sentence stems from his arrest in July after he crashed into a shopfront near his home in Hampstead, north London. The star admitted smoking dope before climbing behind the wheel.
As well as the jail time, Michael was fined $1,875 with $150 in court costs, and banned from the roads for five years.
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences
- Wait... What? Is Tiger Woods Saying He Doesn't Regret Cheating on Elin Nordegren?
- Marvel Pulls 'Invincible Iron Man' Cover After Accusations of 'Sexualizing' Its Underage Hero
- No More Sexy Selfies? Kim Kardashian Is Re-Emerging 'More Covered Up' and 'Less Make-Up'