George Michael Moved to Highpoint Prison
George Michael has been transferred to a prison outside of London to serve out the remainder of his jail sentence. The former Wham! singer was locked up in the U.K. capital's tough Pentonville jail on Tuesday, September 14 after he was sentenced to eight weeks behind bars for possession of cannabis and driving under the influence of drugs.
He dropped a planned appeal against his sentence on Friday, September 17, just hours ahead of a scheduled appeal and bail hearing at a court in London. Instead he spent the day traveling 70 miles (112 kilometers) from Britain's capital to Highpoint Prison in Suffolk, England where he will serve out the rest of his sentence.
Michael's sentence stems from his arrest in July after he crashed into a shopfront near his home in Hampstead, north London. The star admitted smoking dope before climbing behind the wheel.
As well as the jail time, Michael was fined $1,875 with $150 in court costs, and banned from the roads for five years.
- Beyonce Is Making $500K Nursery for Her Unborn Twins
- Mariah Carey Is Spending Too Much Money on Toyboy Bryan Tanaka
- Amber Rose Is Joining Secret Online Dating App
- 'Annabelle' Sequel Gets New Title
- Kim Kardashian Doesn't Want Her Daughter North West to Be Managed by Kris Jenner
- Anne Hathaway's Dress at 'Colossal' Premiere Is So Awkward She Couldn't Sit in It
- Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye May Appear in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp'
- Blac Chyna Believes That Rob Kardashian and Tyga Are Tag Teaming Against Her