George Michael Moved to Highpoint Prison
George Michael has been transferred to a prison outside of London to serve out the remainder of his jail sentence. The former Wham! singer was locked up in the U.K. capital's tough Pentonville jail on Tuesday, September 14 after he was sentenced to eight weeks behind bars for possession of cannabis and driving under the influence of drugs.
He dropped a planned appeal against his sentence on Friday, September 17, just hours ahead of a scheduled appeal and bail hearing at a court in London. Instead he spent the day traveling 70 miles (112 kilometers) from Britain's capital to Highpoint Prison in Suffolk, England where he will serve out the rest of his sentence.
Michael's sentence stems from his arrest in July after he crashed into a shopfront near his home in Hampstead, north London. The star admitted smoking dope before climbing behind the wheel.
As well as the jail time, Michael was fined $1,875 with $150 in court costs, and banned from the roads for five years.
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21 Cast Photos: Meet 30 Girls Vying for Nick Viall's Heart