'40 Year-Old Virgin' Actor Found Guilty of Attempted Murder
"The 40 Year-Old Virgin" star Shelley Malil is facing life behind bars after a jury found him guilty of the attempted murder of his former lover. The actor told the court during his three-week trial that he never intended to hurt his ex-girlfriend Kendra Beebe, who was stabbed more than 20 times during a bust-up in 2008.
Malil insisted he acted in self-defense and lashed out in the dark after he thought he was being attacked from behind following a scuffle with Beebe's pal David Maldonado. But the jury failed to believe his claims, and returned a guilty verdict on Thursday, September 16 at San Diego County Court, California after three-and-a-half hours of deliberating, convicting Malil of attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon. He was acquitted of a charge of residential burglary.
Beebe wept as the verdict was read out in court, and told the Associated Press she feared he would get away with the horrific crime. "I feel a sense of relief, but I have to be honest there is never a win in a situation like this. I was afraid because he was an actor that the people might believe his bad theatrics. I am pleased to see the justice system did its job properly," she said.
Malil faces between 21 years and life in prison. He will be sentenced on November 18.
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics