'40 Year-Old Virgin' Actor Found Guilty of Attempted Murder
"The 40 Year-Old Virgin" star Shelley Malil is facing life behind bars after a jury found him guilty of the attempted murder of his former lover. The actor told the court during his three-week trial that he never intended to hurt his ex-girlfriend Kendra Beebe, who was stabbed more than 20 times during a bust-up in 2008.
Malil insisted he acted in self-defense and lashed out in the dark after he thought he was being attacked from behind following a scuffle with Beebe's pal David Maldonado. But the jury failed to believe his claims, and returned a guilty verdict on Thursday, September 16 at San Diego County Court, California after three-and-a-half hours of deliberating, convicting Malil of attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon. He was acquitted of a charge of residential burglary.
Beebe wept as the verdict was read out in court, and told the Associated Press she feared he would get away with the horrific crime. "I feel a sense of relief, but I have to be honest there is never a win in a situation like this. I was afraid because he was an actor that the people might believe his bad theatrics. I am pleased to see the justice system did its job properly," she said.
Malil faces between 21 years and life in prison. He will be sentenced on November 18.
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says