Woody Allen Fears His New Movie Will Be Lost in Translation
Woody Allen fears his new movie "You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger" will be lost in translation after learning the cliche, most often used by psychics and mediums, doesn't exist outside English-speaking territories. The moviemaker chose the title after fearing the original idea, "The Uncertainty Principle", wasn't "juicy" enough.
But now, as he prepares to release the dark romantic comedy, which stars Josh Brolin and Naomi Watts, he's having second thoughts. He tells WENN, "I was originally going to call the film 'The Uncertainty Principle' because all the characters were constantly searching for certainty, but I felt that would sound too much like homework to the audience and they would not show up. I felt 'You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger' was a juicier title."
"Oddly enough, in foreign countries they don't have that phrase. It's been a problem to translate the title in European countries because they don't have the cliche. It doesn't mean the same thing. In Russia, for example, I'm told the death figure, the grim reaper figure, the tall dark stranger is a woman! So 'You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger' certainly has no meaning there."
- Kanye West Leaves L.A. in the Middle of the Night Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Iron Fist Shows His Martial Art Skills in New Photos of Netflix's Series
- Is Rihanna Not Happy With Beyonce Over Grammy Nominations?
- Wendy Williams Calls Nicki Minaj 'Insensive B***h' for Mocking Mentally Ill Woman
- Lady GaGa Pens 'Inspiring' Open Letter About Her Daily Effort to Battle With PTSD
- 'Bones': What Will Happen to the Jeffersonian? David Boreanaz Shares Photo of Destroyed Lab
- See Tom Hiddleston Accidentally Running Into 'Taylor Swift' During Morning Jog in London
- Andy Cohen Would Like to Hook Up With Justin Bieber