Woody Allen Fears His New Movie Will Be Lost in Translation
Woody Allen fears his new movie "You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger" will be lost in translation after learning the cliche, most often used by psychics and mediums, doesn't exist outside English-speaking territories. The moviemaker chose the title after fearing the original idea, "The Uncertainty Principle", wasn't "juicy" enough.
But now, as he prepares to release the dark romantic comedy, which stars Josh Brolin and Naomi Watts, he's having second thoughts. He tells WENN, "I was originally going to call the film 'The Uncertainty Principle' because all the characters were constantly searching for certainty, but I felt that would sound too much like homework to the audience and they would not show up. I felt 'You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger' was a juicier title."
"Oddly enough, in foreign countries they don't have that phrase. It's been a problem to translate the title in European countries because they don't have the cliche. It doesn't mean the same thing. In Russia, for example, I'm told the death figure, the grim reaper figure, the tall dark stranger is a woman! So 'You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger' certainly has no meaning there."
- Cathriona White's Letter Reveals Jim Carrey Called Her a 'Whore' and Gave Her STDs
- 50 Cent Starts 'Empire' Feud With Taraji P. Henson, Jussie Smollett Also Weighs In
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.14 Preview: An Ambush
- Angelina Jolie's Ambition to Become a Head of the UN Might Cause Split From Brad Pitt
- Taylor Swift Debuts New Haircut, Parties With Gwyneth Paltrow, Mick Jagger at Liberty Ross' Birthday
- Watch Performances From Rihanna, Demi Lovato, Chris Martin and More at Global Citizen Festival 2016
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.02 Preview Promises Revelation of the Saviors' Secret
- Did Faith Evans Just Expose Her Vagina in Front of the Crowd? See the Evidence!