George Michael's Jail Mates Sent Him to Tears
Embattled pop star George Michael wept following his first night in jail - after fellow inmates reportedly taunted him with rowdy versions of his most famous hits. The former Wham! singer was jailed for eight weeks on Tuesday, September 14 after he pleaded guilty to possession of cannabis and driving under the influence of drugs.
He was immediately transferred to London's tough Pentonville prison from court, and entered the imposing jail to a chorus of his hits "Freedom" and "Faith", according to Britain's The Sun. The publication reports that Michael is being kept on the Vulnerable Prisoners Unit - which houses serious sex offenders and paedophiles - for his own protection.
And the experience became so much for the singer, he was allegedly given pills to help him sleep. A source tells the newspaper, "George was bombarded with mickey-taking (mocking) songs from the cons. He was crying as they sang, 'You've got to have faith' at him. When he went to use a payphone in the communal area he was hunched over it - distraught and in tears. He was whispering and very emotional."
The prison stint stems from his arrest in July after he crashed into a shopfront near his home in Hampstead, North London. The star admitted he had smoked dope before climbing behind the wheel. As well as the jail time, Michael was fined $1,875 with $150 in court costs, and banned from the roads for five years.
- Katy Perry Crowd-Surfing Twice at Glastonbury 2017
- Blac Chyna Involved in Car Accident
- Kelly Osbourne Shows Her Derriere While Struggling to Get Out of Her Dress
- Kendall Jenner Looks Unrecognizable in Her Latest Instagram Pictures
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London
- Angelina Jolie Is Worrying That Brad Pitt Will Get More Custody
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out for Shopping in Beverly Hills
- Gal Gadot Is Already Planning for Baby No. 3