Kanye West: Taylor Swift Protest Almost Ruined My Career
Kanye West has opened up about the fall-out following his 2009 MTV Video Music Awards stage invasion in a revealing new magazine article. The rapper apologizes again for his stage protest, which ruined Taylor Swift's big night, and admits he wasn't in "a great spot publicly" after the controversy.
He tells XXL magazine, "The incident wasn't about Taylor personally... Where I messed up is, at the end of the day, it's your show, Taylor. It's your show, MTV... I shouldn't have been at the awards show."
Insisting the incident will never be repeated, West reveals his Swift protest almost wrecked his career: "I knew I wasn't in a great spot publicly after the incident, but I would just block it out and work as hard as possible and let my work be my saving grace."
"In a way, I had thrown a Molotov cocktail at my own career, and it gave me an opportunity, for the first time, to go away and find out who I was. Because I felt very alone." The article is part of a special XXL edition, which West agreed to oversee as guest creative director.
More Kanye West News
- Find Out How Jaden Smith Tricked His Dad Will Smith Into Letting Him Drink on His Birthday
- Jean-Claude Van Damme Walks Out of TV Interview After Reporter Asks This Question
- Matt Damon Will Take a Break From Acting Next Year
- Kanye West Launches Twitter Rants About Apple and Tidal Beef
- Tyler Posey Clarifies 'I Am Gay' Snapchat Video, Apologizes for Fake Coming Out
- Nick Jonas Offered $2 Million to Perform at RNC
- Director Paul Feig Slams Sony for Deleting 'Ghostbusters' Pro-Hillary Tweet
- 'Game of Thrones' Set to End With Season 8, Spin-Off Plan Confirmed