Kanye West: Taylor Swift Protest Almost Ruined My Career
Kanye West has opened up about the fall-out following his 2009 MTV Video Music Awards stage invasion in a revealing new magazine article. The rapper apologizes again for his stage protest, which ruined Taylor Swift's big night, and admits he wasn't in "a great spot publicly" after the controversy.
He tells XXL magazine, "The incident wasn't about Taylor personally... Where I messed up is, at the end of the day, it's your show, Taylor. It's your show, MTV... I shouldn't have been at the awards show."
Insisting the incident will never be repeated, West reveals his Swift protest almost wrecked his career: "I knew I wasn't in a great spot publicly after the incident, but I would just block it out and work as hard as possible and let my work be my saving grace."
"In a way, I had thrown a Molotov cocktail at my own career, and it gave me an opportunity, for the first time, to go away and find out who I was. Because I felt very alone." The article is part of a special XXL edition, which West agreed to oversee as guest creative director.
More Kanye West News
- Halle Berry Skinny-Dipping in the Night After Oscars. Watch the Video!
- Courtney Stodden Exposes Her Nipple in Racy Corset Dress While Attending Oscars Party
- Nicki Minaj Wears Skimpy Bodysuit on Set of New Music Video
- 'Biggest Loser' Trainer Bob Harper's Back at Home After Suffering Heart Attack: 'I'm Feeling Better'
- Here's Why Jennifer Aniston's Oscars Gown Looks Familiar: It Was First Worn by Jennifer Lopez
- Mahershala Ali to Play Two Roles in 'Alita: Battle Angel'
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2': Drax Annoys the Gang in New Trailer Preview
- Katy Perry Accidentally Flashes Her Bare Butt as She Reunites With Orlando Bloom at Oscars Party