Kanye West: Taylor Swift Protest Almost Ruined My Career
Kanye West has opened up about the fall-out following his 2009 MTV Video Music Awards stage invasion in a revealing new magazine article. The rapper apologizes again for his stage protest, which ruined Taylor Swift's big night, and admits he wasn't in "a great spot publicly" after the controversy.
He tells XXL magazine, "The incident wasn't about Taylor personally... Where I messed up is, at the end of the day, it's your show, Taylor. It's your show, MTV... I shouldn't have been at the awards show."
Insisting the incident will never be repeated, West reveals his Swift protest almost wrecked his career: "I knew I wasn't in a great spot publicly after the incident, but I would just block it out and work as hard as possible and let my work be my saving grace."
"In a way, I had thrown a Molotov cocktail at my own career, and it gave me an opportunity, for the first time, to go away and find out who I was. Because I felt very alone." The article is part of a special XXL edition, which West agreed to oversee as guest creative director.
More Kanye West News
- Are They Engaged? Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Thompson Flaunt Matching Rings on Instagram
- Michael Phelps Secretly Weds Nicole Johnson
- Amber Tamblyn Expecting Her First Child With David Cross
- Macklemore Fighting His Demons in 'Drug Dealer' Music Video
- Gerard Butler Set to Return as Mike Banning in 'Angel Has Fallen'
- Bruno Mars Describes Adele as Diva: 'She's Got All This Attitude'
- Kim Kardashian Filming 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' Backstage at Kanye West's Concert
- Katy Perry Celebrates 32nd Birthday by Voting for Hillary Clinton and Hitting Kanye West's Concert