Kanye West: Taylor Swift Protest Almost Ruined My Career
Kanye West has opened up about the fall-out following his 2009 MTV Video Music Awards stage invasion in a revealing new magazine article. The rapper apologizes again for his stage protest, which ruined Taylor Swift's big night, and admits he wasn't in "a great spot publicly" after the controversy.
He tells XXL magazine, "The incident wasn't about Taylor personally... Where I messed up is, at the end of the day, it's your show, Taylor. It's your show, MTV... I shouldn't have been at the awards show."
Insisting the incident will never be repeated, West reveals his Swift protest almost wrecked his career: "I knew I wasn't in a great spot publicly after the incident, but I would just block it out and work as hard as possible and let my work be my saving grace."
"In a way, I had thrown a Molotov cocktail at my own career, and it gave me an opportunity, for the first time, to go away and find out who I was. Because I felt very alone." The article is part of a special XXL edition, which West agreed to oversee as guest creative director.
More Kanye West News
- P. Diddy Squashes Breakup Rumors With a Super Sweet Birthday Message for Cassie
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?
- Get Your First Glimpse of Tom Hardy in Christopher Nolan's WWII Film 'Dunkirk'
- Miley Cyrus Sports New Gold Band on Ring Finger. Is She Secretly Married to Liam Hemsworth?
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Cryptic Message After Breakup as Casper Smart Is Reportedly Still in Denial
- Is Britney Spears' 'Glory' Track 'Liar' About Ex Justin Timberlake?
- Donald Glover Addresses Lando Casting Rumor in Han Solo Movie