Kanye West: Taylor Swift Protest Almost Ruined My Career
Kanye West has opened up about the fall-out following his 2009 MTV Video Music Awards stage invasion in a revealing new magazine article. The rapper apologizes again for his stage protest, which ruined Taylor Swift's big night, and admits he wasn't in "a great spot publicly" after the controversy.
He tells XXL magazine, "The incident wasn't about Taylor personally... Where I messed up is, at the end of the day, it's your show, Taylor. It's your show, MTV... I shouldn't have been at the awards show."
Insisting the incident will never be repeated, West reveals his Swift protest almost wrecked his career: "I knew I wasn't in a great spot publicly after the incident, but I would just block it out and work as hard as possible and let my work be my saving grace."
"In a way, I had thrown a Molotov cocktail at my own career, and it gave me an opportunity, for the first time, to go away and find out who I was. Because I felt very alone." The article is part of a special XXL edition, which West agreed to oversee as guest creative director.
More Kanye West News
- 'The Flash' Movie Eying 'Back to the Future' Director Robert Zemeckis
- Kris Jenner Is Banning Pepsi From Her House
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales' May Be Johnny Depp's Last Disney Film
- Meghan Markle Involved in Nazi and Satanism Scandal
- Caitlyn Jenner Is Saving Her Vagina for Mr. Right
- PARTYNEXTDOOR Unfollows Zayn Malik, Deletes All Trace of Their Collab on Social Media
- Paris Jackson Wants to Save 'Reclusive' Aunt Janet Jackson Amid Split From Wissam Al Mana
- Is Gigi Hadid Taking Her Diet Too Far? Her Extreme Weight Loss Raises Concern