Jane Lynch Vowed to Come Out Because of Ellen DeGeneres
"Glee" actress Jane Lynch vowed to "come out" after TV host Ellen DeGeneres inspired her by publicly discussing her sexuality. The TV star, who married her partner Lara Embry in May, spent years hiding the truth about her preferences and was terrified of her secret becoming public.
But when DeGeneres came out after appearing on the cover of Time magazine in 1997, Lynch felt it was time to do the same. She tells DeGeneres, "I used to lay in bed and go, 'How will I come out or will I come out?' You were at the height of your fame and you came out. And that just blazed a trail for me. It really did. It made it so much easier for me, what you did."
Lynch also admits she found coming out easier because she isn't an A-list Hollywood star, saying "It's because I'm a character actor, I think. If Julia Roberts were gay, I think it would be harder. She's an ingenue."
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance