New Pornographers Forced to Cancel Gig Due to Name
Cult rockers The New Pornographers have been forced to scrap a college gig in Michigan - because of their name. The group, fronted by acclaimed singer/songwriter A.C. Newman, was scheduled to perform at Calvin College on October 15 but the school's Christian officials have vetoed the gig.
A statement from the college reads, "After weeks of discussion and consideration, the irony of the band's name was impossible to explain to many. The band's name, to some, is mistakenly associated with pornography. Consequently, Calvin, to some, was mistakenly associated with pornography. Neither the college nor the band endorses pornography."
Calvin student activities director Ken Heffner, who books concerts for the college, said the cancellation is a "peaceful parting of ways" between the school and the band. Refunds for those who have bought the tickets would be issued starting Tuesday, September 14.
- Gigi Hadid's Family Wants Her to Dump Zayn Malik Because of This
- Is Destiny's Child Reunion Happening? Here's What Kelly Rowland Says
- Kim Kardashian's Sex Tape Turned Into Virtual Reality Experience
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Photos: Jon Snow Reunites With an Old Friend and It's Doesn't Look Friendly
- Jennifer Lawrence Was 'Stressed Out' When Dating Chris Martin, Is Happier With Darren Aronofsky
- Blake Lively Celebrates Ryan Reynolds' 40th Birthday Amid Physical Abuse Allegations
- Justin Bieber Extends 'Purpose World Tour' After Storming Off Stage Mid-Performance
- Ice Cube and 'Hamilton' Helmer Team Up for 'Oliver Twist' Musical at Disney