New Pornographers Forced to Cancel Gig Due to Name
Cult rockers The New Pornographers have been forced to scrap a college gig in Michigan - because of their name. The group, fronted by acclaimed singer/songwriter A.C. Newman, was scheduled to perform at Calvin College on October 15 but the school's Christian officials have vetoed the gig.
A statement from the college reads, "After weeks of discussion and consideration, the irony of the band's name was impossible to explain to many. The band's name, to some, is mistakenly associated with pornography. Consequently, Calvin, to some, was mistakenly associated with pornography. Neither the college nor the band endorses pornography."
Calvin student activities director Ken Heffner, who books concerts for the college, said the cancellation is a "peaceful parting of ways" between the school and the band. Refunds for those who have bought the tickets would be issued starting Tuesday, September 14.
- So Cute! Liam Payne Shares Rare Photo of Him and Son Bear in Matching Yeezy Trainers
- Donald Trump Stops a Call With the Irish PM to Compliment Female Reporter's 'Nice Smile'
- Kristen Wiig Joins Jimmy Fallon in Funny Doctor Skit of New Mad Lib Theater
- Queen Biopic 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Finds Its Drummer in 'X-Men' Actor Ben Hardy
- Kris Jenner and David Foster Reportedly Have a Dinner Date
- Chrissy Teigen Accidentally Flashes Bare Boob When Dancing With John Legend During His Concert
- Watch Spider-Man Make Quite an Entrance at 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Premiere
- Swimsuit-Clad Lea Michele Flashes Her Derriere During Hawaiian Getaway