New Pornographers Forced to Cancel Gig Due to Name
Cult rockers The New Pornographers have been forced to scrap a college gig in Michigan - because of their name. The group, fronted by acclaimed singer/songwriter A.C. Newman, was scheduled to perform at Calvin College on October 15 but the school's Christian officials have vetoed the gig.
A statement from the college reads, "After weeks of discussion and consideration, the irony of the band's name was impossible to explain to many. The band's name, to some, is mistakenly associated with pornography. Consequently, Calvin, to some, was mistakenly associated with pornography. Neither the college nor the band endorses pornography."
Calvin student activities director Ken Heffner, who books concerts for the college, said the cancellation is a "peaceful parting of ways" between the school and the band. Refunds for those who have bought the tickets would be issued starting Tuesday, September 14.
- Kim Kardashian on Butt Pads Allegations: 'I Don't Need Them'
- Lil' Kim Cancels Performance at Essence Festival
- Tyga Romances Blonde Beauty in '1 of 1' Music Video
- David Foster's Daughters: Yolanda Hadid Is Not Dying If She Continues to Be on Reality Show
- Alexander Skarsgard Laughs Off Wedding Plan Rumor
- Judi Dench Gets Her First Tattoo at Her 81st Birthday
- Keri Russell Reveals Her Baby's Gender and Name
- Debby Ryan Gets Probation After Pleading No Contest to DUI