New Pornographers Forced to Cancel Gig Due to Name
Cult rockers The New Pornographers have been forced to scrap a college gig in Michigan - because of their name. The group, fronted by acclaimed singer/songwriter A.C. Newman, was scheduled to perform at Calvin College on October 15 but the school's Christian officials have vetoed the gig.
A statement from the college reads, "After weeks of discussion and consideration, the irony of the band's name was impossible to explain to many. The band's name, to some, is mistakenly associated with pornography. Consequently, Calvin, to some, was mistakenly associated with pornography. Neither the college nor the band endorses pornography."
Calvin student activities director Ken Heffner, who books concerts for the college, said the cancellation is a "peaceful parting of ways" between the school and the band. Refunds for those who have bought the tickets would be issued starting Tuesday, September 14.
- Keke Palmer Blames the World for 'Ugly' Kylie Jenner's Drastic Transformation
- Britney Spears Mispronounces Tinashe's Name During Onstage Performance
- Tegan and Sara Release 'Miami Vice'-Inspired 'Dying to Know' Video
- Seth Meyers Will End 2016 With Jennifer Lawrence, Arnold Schwarzenegger and More
- Liam Payne Blasts Louis Walsh for Dissing His Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl
- Demi Moore Annoys Mila Kunis for 'Butting in' After Birth of Her Son With Ashton Kutcher
- Get Sneak Peeks of Daredevil and Jessica Jones' Encounter in New 'Defenders' Set Photos
- Find Out Liam Payne's Big Plan to Propose to Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl