Shakira's World Cup Collaborators Banned From Zimbabwe
The African pop group which collaborated with Shakira for a magical World Cup 2010 concert has been barred from performing in Zimbabwe after insulting the country's president in a controversial new music video. The Colombian singer and FreshlyGround won over worldwide audiences with their song "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)", which became the official anthem for the soccer tournament in the band's native South Africa.
But the members of the pop group found themselves at the center of political controversy last week after Zimbabwean authorities revoked work permits for a series of planned October this year concerts in the country, according to singer Zolani Mahola.
Mahola tells The Associated Press no reason was given, but she believes the band's controversial "Chicken to Change" video, released earlier this month, is to blame - because in it they ridicule Zimbabwe's President. The video features a puppet depicting longtime President Robert Mugabe isolated in a limousine, uncaring of his people's suffering during a time of economic and political crisis. The puppet then transforms into a fearful chicken as Zolani sings for change.
FreshlyGround flautist Simon Attwell explains, "We wanted to do something that's funny, as opposed to being directly provocative," adding his bandmates thought "humour is a little easier to digest. But evidently not". Zimbabwean immigration officials had refused to comment on the work permits for FreshlyGround as WENN went to press.
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story