Lady GaGa Defends Meat Outfit at MTV VMAs
Lady GaGa has angered animal rights activists after posing in meat-style clothes for the second time in a week. The "Poker Face" hitmaker attracted criticism earlier this month when she posed in a bikini made from slabs of beef for the cover of Japan's Hommes Vogue magazine.
But she was unrepentant at the MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday night, September 12, repeating the stomach-churning stunt in a dress apparently fashioned from strips of red meat - and with a steak balanced on her head. Animal rights workers have blasted Gaga yet again, urging her to ditch the meat-based clothing before she alienates all her vegetarian fans.
Ingrid Newkirk, president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, says, "In that business Lady GaGa has a hard time being 'over the top' and wearing a dress made out cuts of dead cows is offensive enough to bring comment, but someone should whisper in her ear that there are more people upset by butchery than impressed by it, and that means a lot of young people will not be buying her records if she keeps it up."
"On the other hand, maybe it was fake, and she'll talk about that later. If not, what's next: the family cat made into a hat?... This comes at a time when 2,000 people in the U.K. are going vegetarian each week."
But GaGa is adamant her latest eye-catching outfit is not designed to offend, telling U.S. chat show host Ellen DeGeneres, "Well, it is certainly no disrespect to anyone that is vegan or vegetarian... And I am not a piece of meat."
More Lady GaGa News
- Listen to Selena Gomez's Moody 'Only You' Cover for '13 Reasons Why'
- No Worry! Justin Bieber Strips Off His Shirt Showing Off New Inks and Toned Abs in Brazil
- Are Kylie Jenner and Tyga Breaking Up Again? Rapper Moves to New Bachelor Pad
- New 'Valerian' Trailer Offers a Better Look at the City of a Thousand Planets
- Jennifer Aniston Leans on Brad Pitt Amid Justin Theroux Split Rumors
- Details of Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez's Romantic Wedding and Baby Plans Revealed
- Mike WiLL Made It Releases Dramatic Music Video for 'On the Come Up' Feat. Big Sean
- Zac Efron Apologizes to Paris Jackson for Breaking Her Heart