Lady GaGa Defends Meat Outfit at MTV VMAs
Lady GaGa has angered animal rights activists after posing in meat-style clothes for the second time in a week. The "Poker Face" hitmaker attracted criticism earlier this month when she posed in a bikini made from slabs of beef for the cover of Japan's Hommes Vogue magazine.
But she was unrepentant at the MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday night, September 12, repeating the stomach-churning stunt in a dress apparently fashioned from strips of red meat - and with a steak balanced on her head. Animal rights workers have blasted Gaga yet again, urging her to ditch the meat-based clothing before she alienates all her vegetarian fans.
Ingrid Newkirk, president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, says, "In that business Lady GaGa has a hard time being 'over the top' and wearing a dress made out cuts of dead cows is offensive enough to bring comment, but someone should whisper in her ear that there are more people upset by butchery than impressed by it, and that means a lot of young people will not be buying her records if she keeps it up."
"On the other hand, maybe it was fake, and she'll talk about that later. If not, what's next: the family cat made into a hat?... This comes at a time when 2,000 people in the U.K. are going vegetarian each week."
But GaGa is adamant her latest eye-catching outfit is not designed to offend, telling U.S. chat show host Ellen DeGeneres, "Well, it is certainly no disrespect to anyone that is vegan or vegetarian... And I am not a piece of meat."
More Lady GaGa News
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Addresses Joker Fan Theory
- Blac Chyna Gets Love From Kim While Attending a Kardashian Family Event Sans Rob
- Khloe Kardashian Slams Donald Trump as Elizabeth Banks Likens Him to 'Hunger Games' Character
- Not a Wise Spender, Kylie Jenner Is Reportedly Nearly Broke
- 'Suicide Squad' Star Ike Barinholtz Welcomes Second Baby With Wife
- T.J. Miller Parties Hard in First 'Office Christmas Party' Trailer
- Watch Stephen Colbert Crash and Get Kicked Off DNC Stage During 'Hunger Games' Spoof
- Kendall Jenner on Freeing Her Nipples: 'I Don't See What the Big Deal Is'