Vanessa Williams Not a Fan of 'Desperate Housewives' Once
Vanessa Williams had to be coaxed into taking on a role on TV hit "Desperate Housewives" - because she was one of the drama's worst critics. The actress admits she was a big fan until Alfre Woodard became the first African-American to join the show.
Williams wasn't jealous and she doesn't dislike Woodard - but she hated her character's storyline. She tells Entertainment Weekly magazine, "She had her son in chains in the basement. It was like, 'Really? Do we have to go there with our first black character?'
"I honestly fell off the show after that. I think it was just so implausible and just an image that black folks don't want to see - their child chained and shackled in the basement."
Williams will join the Wisteria Lane crowd on the show when she plays the wife of a baseball star.
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding
- Mariah Carey Reportedly Wants to Withhold Sex Before Her Wedding