Chris Brown's Mom Apologizes for Michael Jackson Comment
Chris Brown's manager mother has issued a public apology to outraged fans of his musical hero Michael Jackson, for tweeting an insensitive comment about the King of Pop's death.
Brown has often credited Jackson as an influence, and suffered a breakdown while performing his hit "Man in the Mirror" at the BET Awards in June. But the singer's mum Joyce Hawkins sparked a storm of criticism on Wednesday, September 8, when she logged on to Twitter.com, and wrote, "Michael Jackson died so that Chris Brown could live!!!"
The comment has since been taken down, but not before Hawkins was inundated with a flurry of angry online messages. The outrage prompted Hawkins to release a statement to USA Today on Thursday to clarify her message: "I'm so sorry that the tweet I sent yesterday was misunderstood. What I meant to say is that Chris has always been inspired by Michael Jackson's music and his career."
She later logged on to Twitter, issuing an apology to her followers: "I'm sorry I offended anyone. The statement meant Chris would carry on Michaels (sic) legacy."
More Chris Brown News
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie