Chris Brown's Mom Apologizes for Michael Jackson Comment
Chris Brown's manager mother has issued a public apology to outraged fans of his musical hero Michael Jackson, for tweeting an insensitive comment about the King of Pop's death.
Brown has often credited Jackson as an influence, and suffered a breakdown while performing his hit "Man in the Mirror" at the BET Awards in June. But the singer's mum Joyce Hawkins sparked a storm of criticism on Wednesday, September 8, when she logged on to Twitter.com, and wrote, "Michael Jackson died so that Chris Brown could live!!!"
The comment has since been taken down, but not before Hawkins was inundated with a flurry of angry online messages. The outrage prompted Hawkins to release a statement to USA Today on Thursday to clarify her message: "I'm so sorry that the tweet I sent yesterday was misunderstood. What I meant to say is that Chris has always been inspired by Michael Jackson's music and his career."
She later logged on to Twitter, issuing an apology to her followers: "I'm sorry I offended anyone. The statement meant Chris would carry on Michaels (sic) legacy."
More Chris Brown News
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Live Under Different Roofs After He's Released From Hospital