Piers Morgan Releases Statement After Announced as Larry King Replacement
British TV personality Piers Morgan has finally confirmed he is to replace veteran newsman Larry King after his 25-year run hosting "Larry King Live" ends later this year. In June, the 76 year old announced his plans to retire from CNN's popular talk show, which features interviews with celebrities and prominent figures.
Morgan was a hotly-rumored replacement and the "America's Got Talent" judge reportedly inked an $8.25 million four-year deal for the coveted role - beating out competition from newswoman Katie Couric and "American Idol" host Ryan Seacrest.
Recent reports suggested a glitch with the Brit's work visa held up the deal to place him in King's chair by November, but network executives appear to have sorted the issues - and on Wednesday, September 8 they officially announced King's would step down from the show on December 16. Morgan is expected to launch his new show in January.
A statement released by Morgan reads: "I am thrilled to be joining CNN, and very much looking forward to bringing my own style of interviewing to the world's biggest, and best, TV news organization... I have watched Larry King Live for much of the last 25 years, and dreamed of one day filling the legendary suspenders of the man I consider to be the greatest TV interviewer of them all."
The British star began his journalism career in the U.K. as a newspaper editor at the Daily Mirror and host of the TV program "Piers Morgan's Life Stories". He is expected to continue hosting "Life Stories" and fulfill his commitment to "America's Got Talent" alongside his new role, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed