The xx to Use Mercury Prize Money to Build Their Own Studio
Rockers The xx are to build a recording studio with the cash they won as the 2010 Mercury Prize winners. The trio scored the $30,000 windfall as a result of winning the best British album honor for their eponymous debut on Tuesday, September 7, and singer Romy Madley Croft insists she and her bandmates plan to spend the money wisely.
She says, "We made this album in a converted garage at our record label. We felt very lucky at the time to use it, but I think we'd love to make our own studio, somewhere where we can just experiment." The group beat out the likes of Paul Weller and Mumford & Sons to land the coveted Mercury Prize.
When accepting the honor, bass player Oliver Sim said, "Wow! Thank you so much. We have had the most incredible year and it's just felt like every day we have woken up to something incredible that we weren't expecting. It's felt a bit like a haze. Just being here has been a weird moment of clarity of all that's happened. It just means so much."
- Is Meghan Markle Planning to Get Pregnant Before Marrying Prince Harry?
- Hailee Steinfeld, Kelsea Ballerini and Sofia Carson to Perform Britney Spears Medley at RDMA 2017
- Nam Joo Hyuk's Fans Angered by His Relationship With Lee Sung Kyung
- 'Supergirl': Get First Look at General Zod in Set Photos and Video
- Desperate Tyga to Use Son King Cairo to Get Back With Kylie Jenner
- Beyonce's Pic of Ordering Food Sparks Funny Twitter Reactions
- 'Cars 3' New Trailer Sees Lightning McQueen's Emotional Crisis
- Paris Jackson Channels Marilyn Monroe as She's Dubbed Vanity Fair's Newest 'It Girl'