The xx to Use Mercury Prize Money to Build Their Own Studio
Rockers The xx are to build a recording studio with the cash they won as the 2010 Mercury Prize winners. The trio scored the $30,000 windfall as a result of winning the best British album honor for their eponymous debut on Tuesday, September 7, and singer Romy Madley Croft insists she and her bandmates plan to spend the money wisely.
She says, "We made this album in a converted garage at our record label. We felt very lucky at the time to use it, but I think we'd love to make our own studio, somewhere where we can just experiment." The group beat out the likes of Paul Weller and Mumford & Sons to land the coveted Mercury Prize.
When accepting the honor, bass player Oliver Sim said, "Wow! Thank you so much. We have had the most incredible year and it's just felt like every day we have woken up to something incredible that we weren't expecting. It's felt a bit like a haze. Just being here has been a weird moment of clarity of all that's happened. It just means so much."
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones