The xx to Use Mercury Prize Money to Build Their Own Studio
Rockers The xx are to build a recording studio with the cash they won as the 2010 Mercury Prize winners. The trio scored the $30,000 windfall as a result of winning the best British album honor for their eponymous debut on Tuesday, September 7, and singer Romy Madley Croft insists she and her bandmates plan to spend the money wisely.
She says, "We made this album in a converted garage at our record label. We felt very lucky at the time to use it, but I think we'd love to make our own studio, somewhere where we can just experiment." The group beat out the likes of Paul Weller and Mumford & Sons to land the coveted Mercury Prize.
When accepting the honor, bass player Oliver Sim said, "Wow! Thank you so much. We have had the most incredible year and it's just felt like every day we have woken up to something incredible that we weren't expecting. It's felt a bit like a haze. Just being here has been a weird moment of clarity of all that's happened. It just means so much."
More The xx News
- Ana and Christian Get Frisky in Eatery in New 'Fifty Shades Darker' Trailer
- NBC's 'Hairspray Live!': How Twitter Reacts
- Jonathan Cheban Calls KimYe Divorce Rumors 'Histerical', Says Couple Is 'in Good Spirits'
- 'Tomb Raider' Remake Finds Villain in Walton Goggins
- Nicki Minaj Teams Up With Fetty Wap for 'Like a Star', Surprises Fans With New Bouncy Track
- Caitlyn Jenner to Become Mom Next Year as She's Banned From Meeting Baby Dream
- Rihanna Squashes Beyonce Grammys Feud Rumors: 'This Is Just Unnecessary!'
- Zac Efron Goes Shirtless in Teaser Trailer for 'Baywatch'