The xx to Use Mercury Prize Money to Build Their Own Studio
Rockers The xx are to build a recording studio with the cash they won as the 2010 Mercury Prize winners. The trio scored the $30,000 windfall as a result of winning the best British album honor for their eponymous debut on Tuesday, September 7, and singer Romy Madley Croft insists she and her bandmates plan to spend the money wisely.
She says, "We made this album in a converted garage at our record label. We felt very lucky at the time to use it, but I think we'd love to make our own studio, somewhere where we can just experiment." The group beat out the likes of Paul Weller and Mumford & Sons to land the coveted Mercury Prize.
When accepting the honor, bass player Oliver Sim said, "Wow! Thank you so much. We have had the most incredible year and it's just felt like every day we have woken up to something incredible that we weren't expecting. It's felt a bit like a haze. Just being here has been a weird moment of clarity of all that's happened. It just means so much."
- Taylor Kinney Already Moves on After Lady GaGa Split. Who's His New Girlfriend?
- What Breakup? Katie Holmes and Jamie Foxx Are 'Still Together' Despite Split Rumors
- We'll Miss You, Toby! 'Pretty Little Liars' Star and Creator Say Goodbye to Keegan Allen
- Ciara Is Pregnant With Russell Wilson's Baby. See the Sweet Announcement
- Perrie Edwards Splits From Luke Pasqualino After Two Months of Dating
- Shawn Levy to Direct Sony's 'Uncharted' Movie
- Gigi Hadid's Family Wants Her to Dump Zayn Malik Because of This
- Is Destiny's Child Reunion Happening? Here's What Kelly Rowland Says