The xx to Use Mercury Prize Money to Build Their Own Studio
Rockers The xx are to build a recording studio with the cash they won as the 2010 Mercury Prize winners. The trio scored the $30,000 windfall as a result of winning the best British album honor for their eponymous debut on Tuesday, September 7, and singer Romy Madley Croft insists she and her bandmates plan to spend the money wisely.
She says, "We made this album in a converted garage at our record label. We felt very lucky at the time to use it, but I think we'd love to make our own studio, somewhere where we can just experiment." The group beat out the likes of Paul Weller and Mumford & Sons to land the coveted Mercury Prize.
When accepting the honor, bass player Oliver Sim said, "Wow! Thank you so much. We have had the most incredible year and it's just felt like every day we have woken up to something incredible that we weren't expecting. It's felt a bit like a haze. Just being here has been a weird moment of clarity of all that's happened. It just means so much."
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Denies Cheating Rumors
- 'Pitch Perfect 3' Shows 'Farewell Tour' in First Trailer
- Erin Andrews and Jarret Stoll Get Married in Sunset Ceremony
- Katy Perry Crowd-Surfing Twice at Glastonbury 2017
- Blac Chyna Involved in Car Accident
- Kelly Osbourne Shows Her Derriere While Struggling to Get Out of Her Dress
- Kendall Jenner Looks Unrecognizable in Her Latest Instagram Pictures
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London