Morrissey Slammed for Calling Chinese 'Sub-Species'
Singer Morrissey has caused outrage by branding the Chinese a "sub-species" for their "horrific" treatment of animals. The animal rights campaigner and strict vegetarian has slammed the country for its bad track history of cruelty towards pets, insisting it can not be regarded as a "caring nation".
After responding to a news article detailing Chinese circuses and zoos, the former The Smiths frontman told Britain's The Guardian, "Did you see the thing on the news about their treatment of animals and animal welfare? Absolutely horrific. You can't help but feel that the Chinese are a sub-species."
The comments have infuriated heads at the Love Music Hate Racism campaign group, which Morrissey has supported in the past, and the group's national co-ordinator Martin Smith even claims they are unlikely to accept any further donations from the star because of the remarks.
He says, "It really is just crude racism. When you start using language like 'sub-species', you are entering into dark and murky water."
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy