Morrissey Slammed for Calling Chinese 'Sub-Species'
Singer Morrissey has caused outrage by branding the Chinese a "sub-species" for their "horrific" treatment of animals. The animal rights campaigner and strict vegetarian has slammed the country for its bad track history of cruelty towards pets, insisting it can not be regarded as a "caring nation".
After responding to a news article detailing Chinese circuses and zoos, the former The Smiths frontman told Britain's The Guardian, "Did you see the thing on the news about their treatment of animals and animal welfare? Absolutely horrific. You can't help but feel that the Chinese are a sub-species."
The comments have infuriated heads at the Love Music Hate Racism campaign group, which Morrissey has supported in the past, and the group's national co-ordinator Martin Smith even claims they are unlikely to accept any further donations from the star because of the remarks.
He says, "It really is just crude racism. When you start using language like 'sub-species', you are entering into dark and murky water."
- 'The Walking Dead' Was Supposed to End in Alexandria, but It Has Changed
- Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Movie Casts Mackenzie Foy as Clara
- Video: Kanye West Disses Taylor Swift While Crashing Drake's Concert
- Ben Affleck Risks His Life in New 'The Accountant' Trailer
- An Uber Driver Failing to Recognize Lorde Brags About Another Celebrity Passenger
- Scott Disick and Khloe Kardashian Make Fun of Dating Rumors While Posing for a Selfie
- Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas Bring 'Camp Rock' Back to D.C. Concert. See Their Onstage Reunion
- Is Lindsay Lohan Really Pregnant? See Picture of Her Smoking in Sardinia