Morrissey Slammed for Calling Chinese 'Sub-Species'
Singer Morrissey has caused outrage by branding the Chinese a "sub-species" for their "horrific" treatment of animals. The animal rights campaigner and strict vegetarian has slammed the country for its bad track history of cruelty towards pets, insisting it can not be regarded as a "caring nation".
After responding to a news article detailing Chinese circuses and zoos, the former The Smiths frontman told Britain's The Guardian, "Did you see the thing on the news about their treatment of animals and animal welfare? Absolutely horrific. You can't help but feel that the Chinese are a sub-species."
The comments have infuriated heads at the Love Music Hate Racism campaign group, which Morrissey has supported in the past, and the group's national co-ordinator Martin Smith even claims they are unlikely to accept any further donations from the star because of the remarks.
He says, "It really is just crude racism. When you start using language like 'sub-species', you are entering into dark and murky water."
- Cress Williams to Lead The CW's DC Superhero Series 'Black Lightning'
- Joe Carnahan Rumored to Direct 'X-Force', Ryan Reynolds to Co-Write the Movie
- Did Nicki Minaj Just Diss Lil' Kim in Gucci Mane Collaboration 'Make Love'?
- Fifth Harmony, Nick Viall and Nancy Kerrigan to Join 'DWTS' Season 24
- Justin Bieber Denies Peeing His Pants: 'Water Spilled on My D**k Area'
- Meryl Streep Reacts After Karl Lagerfeld Calls Her 'Cheap' for Snubbing Chanel Dress at Oscars
- Watch Ed Sheeran Adorably Crash Katy Perry's Interview
- Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' Finally Has Premiere Date