Morrissey Slammed for Calling Chinese 'Sub-Species'
Singer Morrissey has caused outrage by branding the Chinese a "sub-species" for their "horrific" treatment of animals. The animal rights campaigner and strict vegetarian has slammed the country for its bad track history of cruelty towards pets, insisting it can not be regarded as a "caring nation".
After responding to a news article detailing Chinese circuses and zoos, the former The Smiths frontman told Britain's The Guardian, "Did you see the thing on the news about their treatment of animals and animal welfare? Absolutely horrific. You can't help but feel that the Chinese are a sub-species."
The comments have infuriated heads at the Love Music Hate Racism campaign group, which Morrissey has supported in the past, and the group's national co-ordinator Martin Smith even claims they are unlikely to accept any further donations from the star because of the remarks.
He says, "It really is just crude racism. When you start using language like 'sub-species', you are entering into dark and murky water."
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding