Defending Iranian Woman, Carla Bruni Is Called a 'Prostitute'
The editors of a leading Iranian newspaper have taken aim at France's First Lady Carla Bruni-Sarkozy, suggesting she deserves to die for opposing a death sentence ruling. Tehran daily publication Kayhan has published an attack on the French celebrities who are trying to save the life of an Iranian woman charged with adultery - and the writers of the article have singled out former model Bruni-Sarkozy and actress Isabelle Adjani.
In the piece, the star is referred to as a "prostitute" who "deserves to die". The attack comes just days after the French president's wife published an open letter in support of Sakineh Ashtiani, the woman due to be stoned to death.
The publication also called Bruni-Sarkozy "the singer and decadent actress who managed to break (up) the Sarkozy family." But Ramin Mehmanparast, a foreign ministry spokesman, has since told international reporters that "insulting the officials of other countries and using inappropriate words is not approved of by the Islamic Republic of Iran."
- Mick Jagger, 73, Welcomes Baby Boy With 30-Year-Old Girlfriend Melanie Hamrick
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes