J.K. Rowling Donates Money to MS Research
"Harry Potter" author J.K. Rowling has donated a massive $15 million to open a multiple sclerosis (MS) research clinic in honor of her late mother. The famed writer's mum, Anne, spent 10 years battling the debilitating disease and passed away in 1990 at the age of 45.
Rowling has now handed over the multi-million dollar sum to set up the Anne Rowling Regenerative Neurology Clinic at Edinburgh University in Scotland, to fund research into a cure for MS and other degenerative neurological conditions including Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.
Rowling says, "I cannot think of anything more important, or of more lasting value, than to help the university attract world-class minds in the field of neuroregeneration, to build on its long and illustrious history of medical research and, ultimately, to seek a cure..."
"I have just turned 45, the age at which my mother, Anne, died of complications related to her MS. I know that she would rather have had her name on this clinic than on any statue, flower garden or commemorative plaque, so this donation is on her behalf, too; and in gratitude for everything she gave me in her far-too-short life."
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Are Reportedly Trying for Twins
- Kim Kardashian Is Jealous of Kourtney's Banging Bikini Body
- From Jail to Cannes! 'Hot Felon' Jeremy Meeks Partying With Nicki Minaj at amfAR Gala
- Your Favorite 'Game of Thrones' Stars Will Get More Screen Time in Season 7
- Kylie Jenner Reportedly Pregnant With Travis Scott's Baby
- Leonardo DiCaprio Mingles With Bella Hadid in Cannes, Sparks Romance Rumors
- See Ben Affleck Hilariously Imitating Christian Bale's Batman for Red Nose Day
- Zayn Malik Regrets His 'Fifty Shades' Duet With Taylor Swift